Zero Eggs!😫

Some people even have to - gasp - buy eggs ...

I've had to buy eggs since mid-November. When I get out of the car after getting home from the store, I say, "Oh, girls, I just brought home eggs from the store. Could you maybe think about getting back to work, please?" Do they answer? No. Do they care? No. Do they give a $h!t? Well, yeah, they give a lot of that. (The other reason I have them is for their compost building poop.)

They are going through a partial molt, even though they're only 9 months old. The hours of daylight are slooooowly getting longer. Maybe I'll get eggs by my birthday in February. :fl

Love 'em anyway.

I get eggs daily (or every other day) from my seven pullets (hatched this May), but I rarely get eggs from my 1.5-year-old hens. I hope that they resume laying as the days get longer and they finish molting. Some people add lights to their coops to help prolong laying.

Not only do daylight, molting, temperature, age, and stress have an effect on egg laying, but also the breed(s) of bird you have as well as each individual hen.

I have some hens who continue to lay like clockwork and others who take the whole winter off! I try to vary my breeds, as well as do some late summer hatching in order to have eggs in the winter. But, that said, I have plenty of freeloaders right now and it's definitely not a sign that you are doing anything wrong. They usually pick up towards the end of January. :)

Everyone is definitely not still getting eggs 😂, or at least reduced number! As above, there are various factors involved, especially this time of year. Some people even have to - gasp - buy eggs ...
My comment said on ONE thread I was reading on here everyone who commented (on the thread)was still getting eggs. Some were depleted yes..but still we’re getting an egg or so. Which is why I decided just to post and ask! I don’t mind buying store eggs I just wasn’t sure if it was ok or something i had to worry about that could potentially effect them and their health!

Not only do daylight, molting, temperature, age, and stress have an effect on egg laying, but also the breed(s) of bird you have as well as each individual hen.

I have some hens who continue to lay like clockwork and others who take the whole winter off! I try to vary my breeds, as well as do some late summer hatching in order to have eggs in the winter. But, that said, I have plenty of freeloaders right now and it's definitely not a sign that you are doing anything wrong. They usually pick up towards the end of January. :)
A bunch of freeloaders🤣🤣🤣 two are sebrights one is a porcelain d’uccle and the one hen we took in we call her big mama she’s a golden comet(I think! The guy we took her from didn’t know so I had to guess) but none of them are laying and they’re all different breeds so I was starting to worry if it was something I was unknowingly doing!

I get eggs daily (or every other day) from my seven pullets (hatched this May), but I rarely get eggs from my 1.5-year-old hens. I hope that they resume laying as the days get longer and they finish molting. Some people add lights to their coops to help prolong laying.
My hen she’s a year old maybe a little over she lays like a champ typically but she hasn’t laid at all. She’s not molting but she’s older and it’s colder and not a lot of daylight. But I read mixed things about the supplemental lights and how it’s not good for them that they need time for their bodies to adjust naturally and should let nature take its course so I decided not to do it. I have a blue light in there just for heat but it’s suppose to be nighttime lighting so it’s not like they’re getting supplemental light.

Back
Top Bottom