Zero Eggs!😫

This is our first winter together(my family and our flock) they’re 7months old.. I live in NY and it’s been freezinggg we haven’t had any eggs at all in over a week! Is that normal for them to go that long?! We have 3 pullets and 1hen.
I once had a problem like that and it was because I did not have enough calcium in there diet

I have 8 birds hatched in april and may that never even started laying! Gonna get rid of those come spring feeding birds thats not laying is a waste of feed

Oh ok so this is normal for us because of location and season. I was starting to get really worried when I came on here and starting reading one thread about how many eggs people received for the day and saw everyone was still getting them! But I didn’t know where they were from so I figured It’d be best for me to post something. They look like they are going through a soft molt actually there’s feathers all over their coop and I JUST changed their bedding! Idk if you can see all the feathers I attached a photo to make sure they’re def molting.
That will do it for sure. Our advisor At the feed store says it's nature's way - fewer babies in harsh winter.

My comment said on ONE thread I was reading on here everyone who commented (on the thread)was still getting eggs. Some were depleted yes..but still we’re getting an egg or so. Which is why I decided just to post and ask! I don’t mind buying store eggs I just wasn’t sure if it was ok or something i had to worry about that could potentially effect them and their health!

I apologize, I was attempting some humor, but I guess I did it wrong ...:oops:

Light is the most likely issue, but also breed choice. Some birds are just better at laying over the winter than others, while some (ahem, polish) stop laying at the first leaf fall (at least our girls do). I remember someplace, maybe Gail Damerow's book on flock keeping, there is a column for chickens that have a tendency to lay over winter. You could also google it and add a few of those girls to your flock at some point. Our super blue has not stopped laying, she is still going strong, an egg a day even when everyone else stopped. We are also in AZ so have a lot more light than you up in NY, so that may not mean much.

This is our first winter together(my family and our flock) they’re 7months old.. I live in NY and it’s been freezinggg we haven’t had any eggs at all in over a week! Is that normal for them to go that long?! We have 3 pullets and 1hen.
I have 10 pullets 7 months old and one roo. I live in ohio and have been getting at least half dozen a day. Put them on layer feed and free choice crushed Oyster shell. I noticed when I don't put the Oyster shells in i get two eggs instead of 6. Before winter I was getting 9 or 10 a day

I have 8 birds hatched in april and may that never even started laying! Gonna get rid of those come spring feeding birds thats not laying is a waste of feed
I hear you totally! One of my 2 chicks from May just started to lay, so don't give up on them. And poor you, they're maturing in winter when most hens slow down for all the reasons on this post.
They'll get to it soon, be extra patient until the days start getting longer.

Back
Top Bottom