ZERO HATCHED!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skeeter9, Oct 2, 2007.

1. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, once again I had a major temp spike for no apparent reason and it killed the 4 Serama that were due to hatch on Sat. I am so frustrated with my bator!!!! [​IMG] I replaced the wafer (again) and set another batch, but I'm almost to the point where I don't want to hatch anymore!!!

Does anybody know if there would be any other part of a Hovabator that could be causing a temp spike other than the wafer?

I have to get this resolved because I'm expecting some special eggs (from Cynthia) in the spring and I want a good hatch.

Lori

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I have nothing to add but I'm really sorry!!!!!

I have heard serma eggs are hard to hatch.

jackie

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Lori, I don't know of anything besides the wafer that would cause a spike unless the bator was sitting in the direct sunlight from a window. I'm sorry about your hatch.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Like Cynthia said, direct sunlight will make it spike. I will also tell you that if the incubator is in a place where the temp fluctuates the incubator temp fluctuates. All an incubator does is take the external air around it and keep a constant temp. So if the incubator is running true if your room temp is say 70 degrees, your incubator temp will be way off if the room temp is 80 degrees during the heat of the day. Does that make sense and help any? Also if you fill the incubator with water at the begiining of the set and it runs out of water towards the end, the temp will change because it is not having to heat the water and the eggs. Hope this helps, sorry its a long post.

5. skeeter9

Let's see. I believe the temp in the room is pretty constant, and the bator doesn't sit where any direct sunlight hits it. Maybe I'll put it in another room and see if that solves the problem - it's possible that the temp in the room is fluctuating more than I think it is. My DH is gonna love me taking over another room in the house with my chicken stuff!!!!!

Thanks so much for the suggestions - I really appreciate it.

Lori

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    A pop bottle full of water will act as a heat sink and help maintain temps in the incubator.

7. skeeter9

Sounds interesting. You mean you just fill one up, put the lid on, and put it in the incubator?

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    May I suggest a silkie "incubator"? [​IMG] Works every time!!

Ellen

9. skeeter9

Hah, that would probably be cheaper than buying a new bator!!! and more reliable!!!

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Just fill up a bottle, put the lid on and put it in the incubator. It will act as a radiant that is egg temp and will stop the temps from fluctuating so badly. It will take a couple days to stabilize once you put it in. So start the incubator up long before you need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by