Zertec for chickens..

Kkrenee

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2021
One of my chickens suffered lergies so bad I. Having to clean out its lil sinuses with a salt solution on qtip.. I also dab mint essential food grade safe oil on its nostrils, but some days I'm having to clean it out up to 3 times a day, or it gets so bad, drains in his throat and he starts having trouble breThing.breathing..
I read that you could give allergy med to them.. I have Cetirizine HCI children's from amazon.Amazon..
But cannot find proper dosage anywhere.. can you help my fellow chicken lovers.. he weighs about 80z. And almost a year old..

Chickens suffer from respiratory infections and diseases. He sounds like he has one. It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, or others. Instead of giving human allergy medicines, I would try to get Tylan or Tylosin or another antibiotic, and treat him. Do you have a vet who could prescribe something, or do you have antibiotics?

What are all of his symptoms? Any eye bubbles or drainage, swollen eyelid, rales or crackles when breathing, gasping, or head shaking? Dust, mold, ammonia odors from droppings, and pour ventilation can help promote respiratory issues and make them worse. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Testing through a vet, your state vet, or an independent lab such as Zoologix could identify which disease he has.

One of my chickens suffered lergies so bad I. Having to clean out its lil sinuses with a salt solution on qtip.. I also dab mint essential food grade safe oil on its nostrils, but some days I'm having to clean it out up to 3 times a day, or it gets so bad, drains in his throat and he starts having trouble breThing.breathing..
I read that you could give allergy med to them.. I have Cetirizine HCI children's from amazon.Amazon..
But cannot find proper dosage anywhere.. can you help my fellow chicken lovers.. he weighs about 80z. And almost a year old..

Is it a liquid? My internet isnt working i cant see your link. Seems like it would be worth a try because the side effects are minimal. Just try smallest dose at first and see if it works. The dose for human is:

Applies to the following strengths: 10 mg; 5 mg; 1 mg/mL; 10 mg/mL

6 months to 2 years:
-Initial dose: 2.5 mg orally once a day
-Maintenance dose: 2.5 mg orally once to 2 times a day
-Maximum dose: 5 mg/day

2 to 5 years:
-Maintenance dose: 2.5 mg orally 2 times a day OR 5 mg orally once a day

6 years and older: 5 to 10 mg orally once a day
-Maximum dose: 10 mg/day

Administration advice:
-This drug may be taken with or without food.
-Capsules should be taken with a glass of water.

Patient advice:
-Inform patients that this drug may cause drowsiness, and they should avoid driving or operating machinery until the full effects of the drug are seen.
-Patients should be told to report allergic reactions.

People use various methodoligies to calculate dosages of human drugs for chickens, including giving large dosages with the claim that chickens can handle it. But the way I would scale the dose down is to use 2 to 4% for a chicken, but its up to you. The scaled down dose would be 0.125 mL per dose given twice a day, max dose 0.25 mg per day for a chicken. This is if the drug is a liquid. Id say its worth a try, maybe just start with one dose per day of 0.125 mL.

So you might wonder how to measure 0.125 mL, or 1/8 mL. There are around 25 drops of H20 in a mL, so you could give 3 to 4 drops as a single dose, max twice a day. Just my opinion and I have never tried antihistamines in chickens.

I have him on tylan 50, 50mg 2 times a day.. no symptoms with eyes, sneezing, head shaking, you can hear his sinuses rattling, ..
No new animals, very inside my house pen, lol it's a story,.. so very clean sand bedding.. no vets within an hour in any direction that will even talk about my chickens.. we live in very rural area of texas.Texas..
The drainage gets bad at times but his lungs are clear, its just sinuses.. when I clean them with quip I just roll bunt of clear thick mucus around the end of qtip..
Then he's better for a lil while..

Is it a liquid? My internet isnt working i cant see your link. Seems like it would be worth a try because the side effects are minimal. Just try smallest dose at first and see if it works. The dose for human is:

Applies to the following strengths: 10 mg; 5 mg; 1 mg/mL; 10 mg/mL

6 months to 2 years:
-Maintenance dose: 2.5 mg orally once to 2 times a day

2 to 5 years:
-Maintenance dose: 2.5 mg orally 2 times a day OR 5 mg orally once a day

6 years and older: 5 to 10 mg orally once a day
-Maximum dose: 10 mg/day

Administration advice:
-This drug may be taken with or without food.
-Capsules should be taken with a glass of water.

Patient advice:
-Inform patients that this drug may cause drowsiness, and they should avoid driving or operating machinery until the full effects of the drug are seen.
-Patients should be told to report allergic reactions.

People use various methodoligies to calculate dosages of human drugs for chickens, including giving large dosages with the claim that chickens can handle it. But the way I would scale the dose down is to use 2 to 4% for a chicken, but its up to you. The scaled down dose would be 0.125 mL per dose given twice a day, max dose 0.25 mg per day for a chicken. This is if the drug is a liquid. Id say its worth a try, maybe just start with one dose per day of 0.125 mL.

So you might wonder how to measure 0.125 mL, or 1/8 mL. There are around 25 drops of H20 in a mL, so you could give 3 to 4 drops as a single dose, max twice a day. Just my opinion and I have never tried antihistamines in chickens.
I decided to try it, liquid children's product, I gave him almost 0.02ml.
But yes I know how to break it down, I use my nursing math skills, lol

I decided to try it, liquid children's product, I gave him almost 0.02ml.
But yes I know how to break it down, I use my nursing math skills, lol
I like the idea of trying antihistamines. I have tried various expectorants and some people do nebulizers too.

But allergens may also be dust particles. Indoor sand may be causing it.

Yes i believe it was dust from the type of sand I changed to.. my boyfriend put in an exhaust fan in the wall for that reason, but I didn't realize it had quit working.. I one other lil hen that started sneezing but I gave her 3 day tylan 50 and she bounced right back.. none of the others have any symptoms..
I thought about my lil hand held nebulizer but chose the cetirizine first.. though I have used my nebulizer in the past.. of course I had to modify even the baby mask.. when I go in to check on him again I'll take a pic of it..lol I have ALL kinds of "made" supplies for my tiny Seramas..
And I'll let ya know how the antihistamine works too

Yes i believe it was dust from the type of sand I changed to.. my boyfriend put in an exhaust fan in the wall for that reason, but I didn't realize it had quit working.. I one other lil hen that started sneezing but I gave her 3 day tylan 50 and she bounced right back.. none of the others have any symptoms..
I thought about my lil hand held nebulizer but chose the cetirizine first.. though I have used my nebulizer in the past.. of course I had to modify even the baby mask.. when I go in to check on him again I'll take a pic of it..lol I have ALL kinds of "made" supplies for my tiny Seramas..
And I'll let ya know how the antihistamine works too
Depending on the type of sand it may be very dusty. You could try washing the sand first to remove the dust. Would be an improvement, but woukd take a little effort.

Benadryl is used occasionally in chickens, and I would be a little more comfortable using that, since I have used that in children for decades without problems. Some of the newer allergy medicines could have adverse affects on a chicken.
Tylan 50 dosage usually is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 5 days, and it can be given orally.

Depending on the type of sand it may be very dusty. You could try washing the sand first to remove the dust. Would be an improvement, but woukd take a little effort.
He's doing so much better.. hardly any sinus noises and he's resting comfortably now.. here's the pic. I receive weekly IV therapy and the syringe is a normal saline flush, I cut it off to fit mask hole, then just shoved it in, I don't know if you can see the tiny stream of mist instead of big.. Then the best lil tool I have is the insulin syringe and a catheter from my left over iv supplies.. its perfect for giving med without them aspirating and on my sick tiny chicks it can give the tiniest drop and fits in their tiniest mouths.. I have other things I have or modify for my chicken use..lol..

Attachments

• 20220122_212925.jpg
    20220122_212925.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220122_213005.jpg
    20220122_213005.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220122_213051.jpg
    20220122_213051.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220122_213016.jpg
    20220122_213016.jpg