Zip ties have 'grown into' the legs..help please

Alright!!! I am glad that you have done it. Just remember to clean twice a day and debree the wounds so that you can get new and healthy tissue growth. I'm glad they have you to treat them with luv and affection.

Gee that is sound advice...something to keep in the archive of my mind in case i ever run across this....God forbid! Thanks so much....errrr thank your husband!
woot.gif

I bought a few hens at a swap one time. They were silkies, and heavily foot feathered. Bought them late summer. Late fall I put all silkies inside in a coop. Soon one of them was limping. WaSnt sure why, looked at it carefully, couldn't see a prob. Eventually, it's foot fell off. Gross, then realized she had a zip tie embedded. Duh, I felt awful. Slowly, two others were limping. Same prob, was able to save their feet. These 3 had to be from the swap. I don't use zip ties on my birds. Moral, when u buy new birds, especially feather legs, CHECK CAREFULLY FOR ZIP TIES.

One must always remember that not all are quality at the auction. Many times they are dumping grounds for someone who just breeds for quantity for the money under dismal conditions. Think puppy mill for chickens. It is so sad as many are sick and injured from lack of care. I find it hard when I see this, I have to hold myself back from exploding at the person and taking the birds home. Zip ties are meant to be temporary even if they do have numbers on them. When I use them for sold chicks the ties are cut off when they are picked up as each order is color coded for my own count.

Back
Top Bottom