I was told they were Easter Eggers but...

RAllen16

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2017
Louisiana, USA
I got my two hens about 2 years ago. One was just laying and the other about a year and a half. I was told they were EE bantams and they were laying daily/bi-daily. Which I really didn't mind not having eggs every single day. I really just wanted chickens again once I lost my meat chicken ( I got as a chick at a expo here in town and had no clue what she was). But really was excited for eggs at least every week. But I rarely get eggs. I always get eggs around mid summer and early August. When I looked through the breed folder on here I found bantams that look sorta like mine. The "American game bantams" and a 'con' in those were they don't lay year round. So can anyone please confirm that? Or are they EE and there's a deeper reason for them not laying?

Welcome to BYC!!
Unfortunately, the photos you have are not entirely clear - if you can take some photos of the birds that are a bit more easy to decipher that will help with identifying them. That being said, they are not looking too much like Easter Eggers in what can be seen so far. What color(s) were the eggs they have produced for you?

welcome-byc.gif

Agree you have some game bird hens.

True, they're not stellar layers, but I think some of it may have more to do with age than breed. No breed of bird is going to lay year round, year after year, with no break. Unless you got them as little chicks, they may already have been mature when you got them, and now be several years old.

If you want to replace them with more productive birds, you shouldn't have a problem selling them. Especially if they've ever gone broody for you. Then buy some traditional layers like Rocks, Australorps, sex links, etc.

I dont think i could part with these girls. Hopefully this spring i will be getting more with their bigger coop slowly being built. They just get to enjoy being carried, treated, and spoiled for the rest of their lives! Thank you for your advice though! Maybe they can raise those chicks!

Back
Top Bottom