Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 9/13/16 at 1:28pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE Last post on Today at 12:35 pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Cashs Blue Eggs and Araucanas Lanae Cash Willits, CA 95490 email@example.com Last post on 12/17/15 at 6:19pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Cochin or Easter egger hatcheries in Pa. ? Last post on 8/22/16 at 8:01pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- ?'s about easter eggers or ameraucanas or araucanas, help Last post on 3/23/16 at 1:54pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- The Chicken ChapelLast edited: 7/5/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Cloverleaf FarmLast edited: 8/2/12
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds - Page 2802
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #28012 of 348479/26/15 at 7:02ampost #28013 of 348479/26/15 at 3:53pm
Hi, I have a few questions for you all. I have a pair of Blue Ameraucanas and I was wondering if they are worth breeding. I would really be interested in breeding them, but I will only do so if they are close to the standard. I was wondering if some of you could take a look at my pair and my hens egg color and let me know what you all think.
I stared out with 5 Ameraucana chicks from a local breeder. I ended up with 1 hen and 5 cocks. I kept the hen and 2 of the cocks.
This is my cock when he was a cockerel - the one on the right, not the leaky blue on the left. I used the leaky one to make some Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers.
This is my cock bird today. He is moulting so not in the best shape.He seems to have nice muffs and a decent beard. Not sure about his type. I was struggling to try and get a nice photo of him so I appologize and will attempt to get more pictures if necessary.
These are his legs and feet. I think he has too much webbing on his feet. Does he? Is this something that can be bred out fairly easily if my hen has better webbing than him?
This is her when she was younger before she started laying. She isn't very friendly and is very skittish and wary of me. She was not hatched here so I'm hoping if I hatch out babies they will not be this way. From my experience the chicks that I hatch here tend to be much calmer and not very skittish than when I get day olds that were hatched elsewhere. Some of them have even been really friendly. Her tail isn't usually held this high.
This is her now. She isn't in the best shape at the moment... She's moulting and has been free ranging so some of her feathers are sun bleached. I had a feather picker that left all my bearded girls beardless, but I think her tail (well the feathers she has left of her tail) looks a bit better in this picture and as you can see her new feathers are coming in so you can see her color. I'm pretty sure I got rid of my feather picker.
This is her egg in the sun. Sorry about the farmgirl manicure.
This is her egg on the bottom in natural lighting.
Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I would like to begin breeding them, however I won't breed them if I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the breed.post #28014 of 348479/26/15 at 4:00pmpost #28015 of 348479/26/15 at 4:09pmQuote:
I'm not sure what is or where they have chocolate. Can you explain a bit about that please. Thanks for the response!
Edited by Adorkable - 9/26/15 at 4:09pmpost #28016 of 348479/26/15 at 4:52pmpost #28017 of 348479/26/15 at 5:03pmQuote:
Are you referring to the brown color on the female? She is badly sun bleached from free ranging if that's what you mean. My hen was that brown color all over until she lost some feathers and grew in new ones. I don't really see a chocolate color on them other than that or are you referring to something else that I may not be seeing?
Edited by Adorkable - 9/26/15 at 5:16pmpost #28018 of 348479/26/15 at 6:22pmQuote:
If your goal is to breed show quality blue Ameraucana, these two should not be part of your breeding program.post #28019 of 348479/26/15 at 7:11pmpost #28020 of 348479/26/15 at 7:27pm
- The Chicken Chapel
- › What breed is? I think blue Orpington but just seeing if I'm right... 28 seconds ago
- › Gender 29 seconds ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 58 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 58 seconds ago
- › What did you do in the garden today? 1 minute ago
- › Will my chicken need a sweater? 1 minute ago
- › The Old Folks Home 1 minute ago
- › Is my rooster sick? is it contagious? ???? 1 minute ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 1 minute ago
- › Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers) 2 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age