Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just got this little baby Thurs so she's now 6 days old. She's an Ameraucana. I've always wanted one and she'sadorable! She's got a muff for sure. But can you tell if she has a beard?
Also any idea what color she'll be? Right now she's grey with yellow puffy bottom and some on her neck/chest.

Attachments

• 20230331_112904.jpg
    20230331_112904.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230402_115645.jpg
    20230402_115645.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230402_115715.jpg
    20230402_115715.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230401_111459.jpg
    20230401_111459.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 4
I just got this little baby Thurs so she's now 6 days old. She's an Ameraucana. I've always wanted one and she'sadorable! She's got a muff for sure. But can you tell if she has a beard?
Also any idea what color she'll be? Right now she's grey with yellow puffy bottom and some on her neck/chest.
If she's an ameraucana she would have been sold with the variety listed. If you got her from a feed store or a seller that didn't advertise the variety, you likely ended up with an easter egger chick. It's a common error, especially when people call easter eggers Americanas/Americaunas or some other variation of the pure breed name.

currently accepted varieties are Buff, Blue, Black, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Silver, White, Brown Red, and Self Blue

Project varieties are Cuckoo, Ermine, Splash, Splash Wheaten, Chocolate, Isabel, Mottled and others.

If she's an ameraucana she would have been sold with the variety listed. If you got her from a feed store or a seller that didn't advertise the variety, you likely ended up with an easter egger chick. It's a common error, especially when people call easter eggers Americanas/Americaunas or some other variation of the pure breed name.

currently accepted varieties are Buff, Blue, Black, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Silver, White, Brown Red, and Self Blue

Project varieties are Cuckoo, Ermine, Splash, Splash Wheaten, Chocolate, Isabel, Mottled and others.
She's from McMurray but they sell them as 'mixed flock' so you don't actually know which color you'll get. See description below. McMurray says they are a true breed and not Easter Eggers.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ameraucanas.html

She's from McMurray but they sell them as 'mixed flock' so you don't actually know which color you'll get. See description below. McMurray says they are a true breed and not Easter Eggers.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ameraucanas.html
I promise you, those are not true Ameraucanas. I'm sorry the hatchery is misleading you and other customers with false information.

You can find more info about the differences and the history of Ameraucanas at the Ameraucanasbreedersclub.org

You'll also be able to find a list of reputable breeders that ship and sell pure chicks.

I promise you, those are not true Ameraucanas. I'm sorry the hatchery is misleading you and other customers with false information.

You can find more info about the differences and the history of Ameraucanas at the Ameraucanasbreedersclub.org

You'll also be able to find a list of reputable breeders that ship and sell pure chicks.
I'm ok if she's an Easter Egger. More was wondering what color she'd turn out to be and if looks like she has a beard. Out of curiosity. Any ideas?

I'm ok if she's an Easter Egger. More was wondering what color she'd turn out to be and if looks like she has a beard. Out of curiosity. Any ideas?
She looks mostly blue or black, she'll probably have a small beard and muffs. She might end up being brown and speckled though. Post more pics when she is a few weeks old. :)

I'm glad you are happy that she is an Easter Egger. I looked at the page you linked, even the picture they have is not a recognized APA Ameraucana color. However, given they are charging Easter Egger prices for their (non) Ameraucanas, you haven't been taken advantage of. Hopefully she will lay blue since that is a primary reason people pay a fair bit of money for a day old APA Ameraucana chick.

BTW, I have had many Easter Eggers, they are one of my favorite "breeds". I currently have 5 (*) in my flock of 21 layer hens. One will be 8 in June and is laying 3 or more eggs weekly now.

* counting the 5 toed Black Ameraucana from Meyer. 5 toes is a disqualifier and I have no idea how they got that into their Ameraucana flock's gene pool. She does lay a nice blue egg. Her "sister" was a Splash (genetically Blue x Blue will be 50% blue chicks, 25% splash and 25% black). She had no flaws but never laid an egg and died at 9 months.

Last edited:
I'm glad you are happy that she is an Easter Egger. I looked at the page you linked, even the picture they have is not a recognized APA Ameraucana color. However, given they are charging Easter Egger prices for their 9non) Ameraucanas, you haven't been taken advantage of. Hopefully she will lay blue since that is a primary reason people pay a fair bit of money for a day old APA Ameraucana chick.

BTW, I have had many Easter Eggers, they are one of my favorite "breeds". I currently have 5 (*) in my flock of 21 layer hens. One will be 8 in June and is laying 3 or more eggs weekly now.

* counting the 5 toed Black Ameraucana from Meyer. 5 toes is a disqualifier and I have no idea how they got that into their Ameraucana flock's gene pool. She does lay a nice blue egg. Her "sister" was a Splash (genetically Blue x Blue will be 50% blue chicks, 25% splash and 25% black). She had no flaws but never laid an egg and died at 9 months.
Wow 8 years old that's amazing! Yeah I really like Easter Eggers too! I got one of those as well in this small batch of 3 chicks I'm raising this year. But she's all yellow right now and has no muff or beard and has yellow legs. Any of your EE like that?
See my other thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-yellow-chick-will-be.1571816/#post-26693385

Back
Top Bottom