BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds - Page 2923

post #29221 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavynFallen View Post


Self blue/Lavender is recessive, has to have 2 copies to show... is commonly bred with black, but they do breed true if bred together... it is not laced and color should be even through the feather...

The blue in BBS is Andalusian blue... it is dominant and only takes 1 copy to express... 2 copies makes splash... blue only breeds true 50% of the time, thus the blue×blue=50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash... and good blue should be laced...
Ok, is there a chicken color genetics book for dummies? Lol....no really is there😳
"Know well the condition of your flocks...."  Proverbs 27:23
Reply
"Know well the condition of your flocks...."  Proverbs 27:23
Reply
post #29222 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBanks View Post

I rehomed this self blue cockerel and kept my black.  The current owner sent an picture to show me how much he has filled out.  No regrets but he is pretty.



Wow, stellar bird. His feathering is lovely
post #29223 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbevilleoz View Post


Ok, is there a chicken color genetics book for dummies? Lol....no really is there😳

No, but there are loads of threads here that are packed with color genetics information.

Basically all chickens are either a silver-base color or gold/red base color. There are a few genes that can control the intensity of the red/gold base color. Black coloring is controlled by 'pattern' genes. Then, there are the genes that modify or change the black.

For example, if you have a Gold Laced Wyandotte, the base color is gold, the black pattern gene is for lacing. Now if you add the BBS gene, all the black lacing will turn blue or splash, leaving the base color unchanged. Or if you add dominant white, the black lacing will turn white, leaving the base color unchanged.

post #29224 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbevilleoz View Post


Ok, is there a chicken color genetics book for dummies? Lol....no really is there😳

Check out these links to chicken genetic sites...

http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=28.0


Edited by greenleaf - 1/5/16 at 8:44am
post #29225 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchick View Post

droolin.gif I want more!!! I don't even have enough pens for my ameraucanas when they come. One of my houses has two pens.There is a large woodshed next to the pen and we are going to close off part of the woodshed and put a small door to the back pen.We are waiting for the weather to get a little better. My husband says "This will be the last one!" Thats enough right!" Yeah sure!  My large bunny needs a pen.Well he doesn't like his large hutch! He needs a pen! lau.gif
I used to have a house rabbit! Her name was Blacky, she was so tame. I had her for five or six years.
I know what you mean about space though! My hubby is not into the birds like I am. He thinks their neat but that's where the love ends! He really liked Hawk our EE, but she quit laying blue eggs so he's kinda disallusioned right now! Lol! So getting him to build my new runs I need is literally like pulling hens teeth! Lol! He knows he has to do it. Afterwards he'll be happy we have them! And having chickens will be great again...for my hubby! I of course love them always, it's definitely my passion! He wont build until Spring but he'll put it off til the last week! It would be so great if my hubby of 19 years was a happy builder. He'll also be in a terrible mood the month he does it too...sigh. But my little birdies are worth it!
post #29226 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBanks View Post
 

I rehomed this self blue cockerel and kept my black.  The current owner sent an picture to show me how much he has filled out.  No regrets but he is pretty.

 

You are a great friend what a lucky person they were to get a good looking Lavender cockerel.

Created my own pure strain of Lavender Ameraucna LF, Araucana LF, and Orpington LF.  May have been the first from a pair of birds I bought in Indiana between 2005 or 2006.  They were neither Orpingtons or Araucanas but were considered EE's at the time.  Created from a lavender male and a black split female that layed green eggs.  

 

I am not associated with Schafer's Farms

True success is...

Reply

Created my own pure strain of Lavender Ameraucna LF, Araucana LF, and Orpington LF.  May have been the first from a pair of birds I bought in Indiana between 2005 or 2006.  They were neither Orpingtons or Araucanas but were considered EE's at the time.  Created from a lavender male and a black split female that layed green eggs.  

 

I am not associated with Schafer's Farms

True success is...

Reply
post #29227 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBanks View Post

I rehomed this self blue cockerel and kept my black.  The current owner sent an picture to show me how much he has filled out.  No regrets but he is pretty.


He is beautiful to look at! What a lovely breed these birds are. When u decided to cull him to his new home what were his faults? Can I guess to say his tail would be set too high as he looks here as an adult? Would his back be too swayed?...would he be lacking in an overall balanced look? I'm just looking at the beauties being posted and or critiqued. And trying to learn which birds are closer to the breed standard. Especially you guys who are breeding them per the standard.
post #29228 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucvl View Post


I used to have a house rabbit! Her name was Blacky, she was so tame. I had her for five or six years.
I know what you mean about space though! My hubby is not into the birds like I am. He thinks their neat but that's where the love ends! He really liked Hawk our EE, but she quit laying blue eggs so he's kinda disallusioned right now! Lol! So getting him to build my new runs I need is literally like pulling hens teeth! Lol! He knows he has to do it. Afterwards he'll be happy we have them! And having chickens will be great again...for my hubby! I of course love them always, it's definitely my passion! He wont build until Spring but he'll put it off til the last week! It would be so great if my hubby of 19 years was a happy builder. He'll also be in a terrible mood the month he does it too...sigh. But my little birdies are worth it!


Happy builder happy wife! I would say thats a win win!

post #29229 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBanks View Post

I rehomed this self blue cockerel and kept my black.  The current owner sent an picture to show me how much he has filled out.  No regrets but he is pretty.


Ok, he is standing with weight on one leg & his back doesn't necessarily look swayed. Lol,sorry. He is beautiful regardless.
post #29230 of 35058
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucvl View Post


He is beautiful to look at! What a lovely breed these birds are. When u decided to cull him to his new home what were his faults? Can I guess to say his tail would be set too high as he looks here as an adult? Would his back be too swayed?...would he be lacking in an overall balanced look? I'm just looking at the beauties being posted and or critiqued. And trying to learn which birds are closer to the breed standard. Especially you guys who are breeding them per the standard.


He is very pretty! I have one that looks alot like him but still young. I will post a pick if I can get my camera working.


Edited by marchick - 1/5/16 at 10:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds