“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

Take the danger out of obsessive candling and make your own incubator that you can candle the eggs from the outside!!!
smile.png

How do you candle from the outside?

Hi I made a do it yourself incubator out of a hip boot box with a seedling heating may on the bottom 3 layers of thin approx 1/4 thick squares Styrofoam packing insulation on the bottom and another over the top that is attached to the top of the box. I know I know I am supposed to have a thermometer etc. I just wanted to see if I could get eggs to develop. 1st run I had the top insulation on top of the eggs and they got to hot 1 started developing then stopped. My temp gauge is I see if they feel like they do when the come out from under my hens.(i want to get a thermostat for the seedling mat but don't have the money as of yet) the box is in my chick room and the heat from the heat lamp keeps the room itself about 70-80 the seedling mat is supposed to warm 20 degrees above ambient room temp. Anyways 2nd trial I put 7 eggs in 9 days ago. I candled them 2 days ago and to my surprise 5 were developing. Woo. I opened the 2 with no development and apparently they were mad at road runner the were not even fertile. I showed my daughter the embryos last night and with the light brown egg it was easier to see . she got to see the little baby "swimming" in the egg. Total awe for a 10 year old girl. I'm sure that someone with a little more resources and know how could make a decent incubator out of a seedling mat some diy materials and a thermostat! I'll up date you guys in a couple of weeks to let u know how my experiment goes and if I end up with some little peepers!

Need something to raise the height of the thermometers during lockdown, when you have no egg turner to put it on? Try making a little platform out of legos. Finally, a use that doesn't include stepping on them at 2am.

Last edited:
An egg-cellent activity from Science Buddies FUN WITH THE KIDS AND EDUCATIONAL
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-chick-breathe-inside-shell/

Porous Science: How Does a Developing Chick Breathe Inside Its Egg Shell?

An egg-cellent activity from Science Buddies

Introduction
Have you ever wondered how an unborn chick breathes inside its shell? Every animal needs oxygen to live, so the chick must get air somehow! When an animal—including a human—inhales, oxygen enters its lungs and is then distributed to all the different parts of its body. The animal's metabolism converts the oxygen into energy. During this process, a waste gas called carbon dioxide is produced. To get rid of it, the carbon dioxide is carried back to the lungs, where it is collected and exhaled. So not only must the chick have a way to let oxygen in, it also must somehow let carbon dioxide out. How does it do this sealed inside an eggshell?

PEALING hard boiled FRESH EGGS!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24428

1/8 cup salt in BOILING water and 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda,
add room temp eggs and time

some say 13 minutes for Large eggs, and 11 for bantam eggs
cut-hard-boiled-eggs-6-10-16.jpg

ICE BATH SHOCK THEM AFTER DRAINING BOILING WATER
The-Trick-to-an-Easy-Peel-Hard-Boiled-Egg.jpg

THIS IS IMPORTANT
ROLL THE EGGS GENTLY ALL AROUND With your Palm AND THE SHELL WILL COME RIGHT OFF!

eggcollage4.jpg

Brining 101 Osmosis:

Meat already contains salt water. By immersing meats into a liquid with a higher concentration of salt the liquid is absorbed into the meat. Any flavoring added to the brine will be carried into the meat with the saltwater mixture. And because the meat is now loaded with extra moisture it will stay that way longer while it cooks.​
Chapter 1 – The “Why” and “What” of Brining
Background
Osmosis
Protein modification
Salt
Cures in Brines
Chapter 2 – Common Questions and Answers about Brining
Chapter 3 – Basic Times for Brines
How Long to Brine?
Chapter 4 – Brining Recipes
Preparation
Simple Brine