“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

With the really dark brown eggs it does not work as well. I have been able to use it on blue. I have not tried olive eggs yet, as I have not had any.

Here is a pic that I took tonight from the outside with just a cheap dollar store lamp light that I altered!!

I wish I knew how to add a video to this post, you can see much clearer on the video vs the pic

Last edited:
HELPFUL TIP FOR WRY NECK CHICK!

I am currently treating a chick born with wry neck. This site has helped me enormously. I have followed all the recommended courses of treatment and we are not seeing great results but it's only been 1-1/2 weeks. I did find a way to support the neck so she can eat on her own and not fall backwards. It's a hair roller used like a neck brace lol. A spongy soft flexible dollar store hair roller. I formed it into a teardrop shape and cut the extra length off with wire cutters. Imagine hanging a hot show around her neck with the ends hanging down. Lightly squeeze the ends together so it won't slip off but be REALLY CAREFUL with the tiny little neck. Mine is a bantam Cochin so she's especially small. It has helped enormously with her stress level and flailing about! She is actually able to eat on her own although I am still dropper feeding her vitamin water. Oh! These rollers are available in different sizes for bigger chicks or full grown hems etc.

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE OUT THERE! Y'all have been SO very helpful to me the last month so I'd like to repay the favor
2764.png

[/URL]
What a fantastic idea!!!
And I just went through wry neck!!

Quote:
Quote: you know I have plenty of pred with my immune system and liquid as well dosing is going to suck'

@casportpony @mlm Mike

0.jpg

I put pre and pro biotics powder a bit heavier than labeled in its mouth it wont drink so did drops on end of toothpick

0.jpg

http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/

• 2 TBS Pedialyte
  • 2 drops Baby Vitamin
  • 100 units Vitamin E (squirt out half a capsule)
  • 50 mcg Selenium (1/4 tablet crushed)
Mix the ingredients together and administered it a few drops at a time to the baby chick.
@Sally Sunshine , if your wry neck chick isn't able to eat, will you cull or tube feed?

-Kathy

Quote:
dang!!!! good stuff to know lg!! thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony

@Sally Sunshine , if your wry neck chick isn't able to eat, will you cull or tube feed?

-Kathy
what for tubing its little? @casportpony
Rubber catheter type feeding tubes come in "French" sizes from 3-34. The smaller the number, the smaller the tube. The smallest one I use is an 8, and I use that on all baby chicks. The sizes I use most are 8, 10, 16,18 and 30.
Here is the size 8

Here are the sizes:

French
Gauge Diameter
(mm) Diameter
(inches)
3 1 0.039
4 1.33 0.053
5 1.67 0.066
6 2 0.079
7 2.3 0.092
8 2.7 0.105
9 3 0.118
10 3.3 0.131
11 3.7 0.144
12 4 0.158
13 4.3 0.170
14 4.7 0.184
15 5 0.197
16 5.3 0.210
17 5.7 0.223
18 6 0.236
19 6.3 0.249
20 6.7 0.263
22 7.3 0.288
24 8 0.315
26 8.7 0.341
28 9.3 0.367
30 10 0.393
32 10.7 0.419
34 11.3 0.445

-Kathy

UPDATE 11 AM
0.jpg

UPDATE 7 PM 2/26
0.jpg

2/27 Noon

0.jpg

0.jpg

FEB 28th 11AM
0.jpg

UPDATE TUES 3/1
doing better yesterday, didnt get pics today yet !!!

UPDATE 3/4/16
SAY HELLO
TO A HEALTHY "Wry"

ALMOST 4 WEEKS OLD!!!!!!!
LL

Here is a tip for sick baby chicks needing extra TLC & fluids or ones that are having a hard time drinking on their own

Saturate a Q-tip in water (or vitamin water) and hold it to the side or tip of their beak, the water will make its way into the beak without you having to pry it open, and can easily be done one handed, easy no mess way to help them drink without aspirating or stressing them.

Here is a tip for sick baby chicks needing extra TLC & fluids or ones that are having a hard time drinking on their own

Saturate a Q-tip in water (or vitamin water) and hold it to the side or tip of their beak, the water will make its way into the beak without you having to pry it open, and can easily be done one handed, easy no mess way to help them drink without aspirating or stressing them.

I do that. Works fantastic.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
your avy is lovely!!!
Why thank you
yippiechickie.gif
, that is my Peepers, she is ever so tiny! But she has quite a set of lungs on her!

I do that!! Works fantastic!
thumbsup.gif
I wish I'd figured that out sooner, I aspirated a chick once trying to use a syringe and I felt SO terrible! So I figured I'd share in case it could save any other lives!
jumpy.gif

Caring For Sick Baby Chicks
Sometimes a chick will be born un-equal to the others.
He or she may not be strong enough to feed themself's and their owners may not have the heart to cull them.
It's cruel to leave a baby chick (or chicken) to suffer, so here is my tips for saving a weak chick.

Feed the chick a mash. My own recipe is called 'Chick Oatmeal'. Here it is:
Half a teaspoon of coconut oil.
Half a teaspoon of brown sugar.
2 and a half Tablespoons of chick crumble.
1 teaspoon of plain yogurt.
Add boiling water until it is easy to feed.

Feed this by placing a spoon of it under the chicks beak and tipping it back in the bottom jaw.
Take short breaks for the chick to swallow.

If your chick get's pasty bum rub it off gently with a warm, wet cloth and discountinue the sugar in the feed. Sugar can cause pasty bum. Make sure that the 'pasty bum' is not an umbilical scab.

Feed the chick around every 4 hours. I recommend 8:30 AM, 12:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 12:00 AM, 4:00 AM, and 6:00 AM if the chick can't feed itself or feeds itself very little.
It pays off in the end if done right!!!!
Good Luck!
Chicken19

Back
Top Bottom