13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your humidity? Mine was 28% max, this was our second go dry hatching and much better than the first. We only had a 50% rate last time. I’m so sorry about your hatch 💕
25-30. Last hatch I set 18 eggs 10 hatched all those died a day later from lamp going out this hatch so far nothing ill be surprised if i even get one. But out of 30 eggs its not even worth mentioning if any hatch. My hatches usually are way better this year already sucks

Yup, I've read the assisted hatching article (this one, right? https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/)

I think I'll wait a little longer :fl

That is a good article and also this one has some graphic images but very educational.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

If you get to the point where you think this chick needs assistance I would open from the air cell end and apply ointment to the membrane to make it translucent to see that everything has been absorbed before moving forward. Just keep in mind that when a chick is upside down it's usually much much closer to the shell than it appears when candling because it's little booty is in there.

That is a good article and also this one has some graphic images but very educational.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

If you get to the point where you think this chick needs assistance I would open from the air cell end and apply ointment to the membrane to make it translucent to see that everything has been absorbed before moving forward. Just keep in mind that when a chick is upside down it's usually much much closer to the shell than it appears when candling because it's little booty is in there.
I've read both articles. 😅

I was just watching the egg... saw it's beak moving up and down, then SMACK! It hit the top of the shell and broke off a tiny bit.

This is Starburst, @Lemon-Drop’s sister. The chick just hatched! It’s so adorable! 🥰
However, it’s kind of tangled up in yolk/cord-like stuff, and can’t get off its back. Any advice?
F1FB81F2-3D60-4B88-A25D-0F93ECA990D3.jpeg
D52934DD-E44B-4096-972A-E7347A42DB57.jpeg
B1BEC412-B684-4A58-9C3D-24B0E7DCB60F.jpeg

I personally would leave it until it has dried out and fluffed up. Then maybe use an old soft toothbrush to try and loosen whatever it is on it. The last thing you want is the baby getting a chill, also it will be worn out with hatching, I would just leave it be for now. Beautiful baby 😍

Also I have no experience with this, these are just my thoughts 🐣 maybe you could quickly use a tissue to get the most off 🤷‍♀️

This is Starburst, @Lemon-Drop’s sister. The chick just hatched! It’s so adorable! 🥰
However, it’s kind of tangled up in yolk/cord-like stuff, and can’t get off its back. Any advice?
View attachment 3065631View attachment 3065629View attachment 3065628

Congrats! You can take it off really quick since the other chicks aren't externally pipped yet there's no harm in opening the incubator. If it's still attached to the navel make sure not to pull on anything, you can pinch that and snip it if necessary but it looks like that will fall right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom