15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
I've been thinking about chicks too much. Yes, there is such a thing, when your naptime dream is invaded with chicks hatching at the speed of corn popping, being fluffed out and halfway grown already within minutes, running amok everywhere, getting into everything, to the point of someone plastering one into the ceiling!

And that's just a scaled down synopsis. I didn't touch on the almost-drowning, the one chick bloated up like a balloon and being fed antihistamine-laced apple sauce, cats getting into the brooder, and baby bearded dragons.

No, I'm not on 'anything'! But now wish i was after *that* dream! :lau

Come on, eggs! Hatch so I can get back to sorta-normal!
🤣 I get it! I'm not dreaming about it yet, but my every waking thought is about chicks and the incubator full of eggs!

I've been thinking about chicks too much. Yes, there is such a thing, when your naptime dream is invaded with chicks hatching at the speed of corn popping, being fluffed out and halfway grown already within minutes, running amok everywhere, getting into everything, to the point of someone plastering one into the ceiling!

And that's just a scaled down synopsis. I didn't touch on the almost-drowning, the one chick bloated up like a balloon and being fed antihistamine-laced apple sauce, cats getting into the brooder, and baby bearded dragons.

No, I'm not on 'anything'! But now wish i was after *that* dream! :lau

Come on, eggs! Hatch so I can get back to sorta-normal!
I resemble that comment🤣

I put my incubator in lockdown this morning for my barnyard mix eggs. I think I probably should have done it yesterday but I am still struggling with the timing, do you do lock down at the beginning or end of day 18? Once I removed the turner I notice about 3 or 4 eggs are rocking slightly. Can't wait to meet my second hatch crew. May there be many hens.

I am already planning on hatch 3 which will be a dozen ameraucanas and a dozen welsummers that are coming early April. Though my NR only fits 22 eggs I am wondering if I can add the 2 extra in there and hand turn them. I assume by the first candling I will have some not develop.

Last edited:
Today's update:
Oklahoma weather 🤦‍♀️
We were wearing shorts last week and today we have snow flurries and freezing! Maybe Alice will stay on the nest a couple more days since it's too cold to go out with the babies now! I'm going to leave the last few eggs in the nest as long as she's willing to keep sitting! Once she gets up with the babies and doesn't come back, I'll grab them and stick anything still alive in the incubator! 🤞

First baby has hatched!!!

20240327_124312.jpg

Back
Top Bottom