2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Who, me? If so, I have quite the selection... Eggs were marked w/w, p/sp, bs-c/bs, lp/sp, maybe @DylansMom will explain what that means. To me it means something other that IB, lol.

-Kathy
big_smile.png

hey guys, I have a question. I have a peahen who hatched a couple of eggs like 15-20 days ago but I took the chicks away from her. Will she lay again? or is she done for this season? I would think she might be done for this season But I saw her looking at my peacock and Im pretty sure they got something going on LOL.

Most animals when you take the babies away they go right back into season, but I've yet to do that with my hen. She hasn't hatched her own chicks out yet. Her next clutch I will let her incubate not to mention I will be in SD and the people looking after my place will be hopefully looking after peachicks so I won't make them collect any more eggs.

Last edited:
so how many eggs/chicks did everyone get? We (so far) got 39 eggs from one bs male and between 4 girls - although I'm sure only two of them actually laid, the other two were not at all interested in him. and we know which ones were doing the gonna lay an egg stance/dance. I sold most of them, tried to incubate some, but that didn't work out. got two more in the incubator now - hoping. They're only two years old, but when I tried to incubate before they were all fertile :)

Day nine non-viable eggs

2 year old hen named Green Pea from pen of 1 and 2 year old boys.

From mature pen, but very small egg.

2 year old hen named Black from pen of 1 and 2 year old boys.

2 year old hen named Green Pea from pen of 1 and 2 year old boys.

-Kathy

ok I have not been on here in a while, so I'm reading through the thread and my first thought when looking at these picts is oh my, did you write on them with marker??? I thought this was a big no no, and it'd kill eggs??? I was told to only write on them with pencil since that wouldn't go thru the shell... so is this not true? im always so scared to hurt them...

ok I have not been on here in a while, so I'm reading through the thread and my first thought when looking at these picts is oh my, did you write on them with marker??? I thought this was a big no no, and it'd kill eggs??? I was told to only write on them with pencil since that wouldn't go thru the shell... so is this not true? im always so scared to hurt them...

We had a discussion like this not too long ago on here. Several people said they use a sharpie marker and still have great hatch results. Others use pencil. I think the general conclusion is that it doesn't really matter if you use a marker or a pencil. The marker won't harm the egg or chick. I use a pencil here just because I can keep it wedged between the pole and the fence for quick access when I find an egg.
wink.png

Marker doesn't hurt them. I used to use marker but now I use nothing to mark I let the hen do the marking one side might be clean while the other might have dirt or some other things. I remember reading marker is a bad idea but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have 3 eggs in my incubator. They should hatch around June 11, 13, and 15.

Hi You Guys! I've missed you. Funny- as cold and brutal a winter as we've had here in Ohio, my peahen has been on 6 eggs for 15 days now. Dylans Mom said hers aren't in the mood yet. I'm thinking I might have sped things up unintentionally, with my coop lights being on a timer. The longer light hours help egg laying in the chickens and apparently peafowl as well! Counting down, 13 more days to go...

Back
Top Bottom