2014 Hatchery Chick Orders

I was thinking of ordering a Cackle hatchery surprise as well for a delivery at the end of May. (I want the turkeys, ducks and/or geese)
The surprise it what actually got us hooked on chickens. We had picked up 6 at our local TSC and a couple at a local feed store and then I stumbled upon this site and a thread about the Cackle Hatchery Surprise and I couldn't stop myself! Out of the ones we kept, we were very pullet heavy. I sold a lot right at first because I was overwhelmed and not prepared, the plan this year is to hold onto them longer and make sure we don't sell any we should have kept. I was also afraid to hold onto them to long and once they lost their cute 'chick stage' no one would want them. I was wrong...they sold quickly both ways. I think people were really excited about having different breeds available than what the feed stores carry and since they were about 5 months old they could see what they were getting.

I ended up ordering a few more from Cackle: White Chanteclers, Black Copper Marans, Welsummer, Buckeye and of course the Hatchery Surprise. I think I'm done ordering birds for the year!
Let me know how the hatchery surprise is I was checking that out interested to see how you made out and what you received.

Good luck! I'm getting a chick assortment from Cackle for next week (I hope, can't order until Friday.) If I can't get them from there, I'll get them from Meyer. (Its my 16th birthday present
big_smile.png
).
Sorry to hear about your chicks
sad.png
. I have 2 dark brahma hens from them. Both are only 6.5 lbs and only one actually looks nice (somewhat like the breed). I had a dark brahma rooster from them and he was the friendliest rooster ever, but he passed away when he was only 7 months old.

Not very high. I think 1/16! Lucky you, I hatched 34 chicks last month and had 24 roosters and 10 pullets. How lucky am I? Not very. lol. At least I sold all the roosters
big_smile.png
I just got a chick assortment (rainbow layers) they all are doing great all 27 of them lol!!! Very pleased with my order from McMurray and Happy Birthday! I don't have luck hatching pullets either I seem to get a higher amount of roos lol I am getting 2 dz mixed (Cochin, BCM, Polish and a few different breeds) I pick them up next weekend and will get them in the bator I love mixed batches because you never know whats coming out lol. I have a silkie and a banty who are co-parenting 2 eggs LOL I candled them tonight 1 is growing great the other is clear. So excited this is the first time I have a broody hen (s) it should be fun to see who ends up with the chick I was kinda hoping both would be fertile then they could each have a chick but I guess who ever is on the egg when it hatches gets the chick
idunno.gif

just changed my order and instead of ducks i will be getting 3 speckled sussex, 3 blue LF cochins, 3 delaware, 3 buff orpington, and 3 RIR....all pullets. cancelled the ducks because until we possibly move in a couple years i dont think this place could stand the mess of ducks so getting ducks will have to wait but i deffinantly have room for more hens here so that's what i'll do for now and i'll get ducks later when there's more space

Our Cackle order came in this morning, 11 Cinnamon Queens and 16 EE pullets (one extra of each)! I knew the Saturday delivery had to be wrong. They are doing AMAZING!!! They were packed so much more secure than our Ideal orders, the chicks were spunky and running around right out of the box. There are a number of them fluttering around.

There is a very remarkable difference in this order of chicks and the 2 orders we've received in the last week from Ideal. To be fair, there was extreme cold during both Ideal shipments while the chicks were in transit and I think it was hard on them.

Even though we are in Texas, as is Ideal, it was 2 days of transit time from each hatchery. We ordered last year from Privett in New Mexico (because our local TSC orders from them) and they were here the next day. I know from tracking information offered from Cackle that our order was boxed and at the post office before lunch the first day. I'm not sure what time Ideal takes orders to their post office. Since I receive email confirmations from them late at night on the days that they ship I wonder if they take them at the end of the day, which could be the extra day?

I can't wait to see how all of the chicks mature. The Ideal packing peanut EE from our first order are HUGE already. I just can't get over how solid/hefty they feel when we pick them up.

Ok, off to figure out either a larger or a third brooder!

Our Cackle order came in this morning, 11 Cinnamon Queens and 16 EE pullets (one extra of each)! I knew the Saturday delivery had to be wrong. They are doing AMAZING!!! They were packed so much more secure than our Ideal orders, the chicks were spunky and running around right out of the box. There are a number of them fluttering around.

There is a very remarkable difference in this order of chicks and the 2 orders we've received in the last week from Ideal. To be fair, there was extreme cold during both Ideal shipments while the chicks were in transit and I think it was hard on them.

Even though we are in Texas, as is Ideal, it was 2 days of transit time from each hatchery. We ordered last year from Privett in New Mexico (because our local TSC orders from them) and they were here the next day. I know from tracking information offered from Cackle that our order was boxed and at the post office before lunch the first day. I'm not sure what time Ideal takes orders to their post office. Since I receive email confirmations from them late at night on the days that they ship I wonder if they take them at the end of the day, which could be the extra day?

I can't wait to see how all of the chicks mature. The Ideal packing peanut EE from our first order are HUGE already. I just can't get over how solid/hefty they feel when we pick them up.

Ok, off to figure out either a larger or a third brooder!

Cool. Do you have any pics of them?

Back
Top Bottom