2014 Hatchery Chick Orders

Thank you.  Like I said many of the others I have talked to have not had the problems I did.  Meyers was very good to work with I called this morning and they credited me all the chicks that I lost no questions asked.  We would have tried to have more shipped but the breed that we wanted was not available again until August and that was too late for our county fair.  Like I said Meyers offered great customer service but we were just sad to see the babies go.  Good Luck and a trip to TSC is always fun because then you can pick the ones that you want and all the supplies you will need.  You may want to do some research on breeds that you do have wrote down.  Some tend to go broody more often and you don't want hens that sit on un-fertile eggs because they won't be producing for you then.  Welcome to the crazy world of chickens. :woot

I really had good experiences with mm and mpc .xcept the wry neck of course lol. I think the mm chicks are super atrong, but I got both orders overnight. I just don't think they can handle prolonged shipping. I pick up
At a main distr center.

I've ordered from MM twice and only had one little one pass as soon as I got home. That was the first order of 26. On my second order all 27 lived. I'm hoping my luck continues on my next order in a few months.

YAY for you!! I'm getting ducks and guineas in two weeks! Got the chicks! Gonna have three tubs in my living room. LOL ....and I swore it would not happen this year.

yea but its addicting, you get the bug and its all over with from there... I got a couple guineas the other day, first time for me on guineas so it will b interesting.

moved my chicks to a bigger brooder and the brooder they left has been cleaned and just needs fresh shavings, water and feed but i wont do that till the 24th when my ducklings ship out

Last edited:
So, there were these 5 lonely scared little ducklings who had been at the co-op since Wednesday. They were Buff Orpingtons, which is what I wanted to go with my lonely female...and now they're in a tub in my living room. Still have 4 guineas coming in two weeks....

Thank you. Like I said many of the others I have talked to have not had the problems I did. Meyers was very good to work with I called this morning and they credited me all the chicks that I lost no questions asked. We would have tried to have more shipped but the breed that we wanted was not available again until August and that was too late for our county fair. Like I said Meyers offered great customer service but we were just sad to see the babies go. Good Luck and a trip to TSC is always fun because then you can pick the ones that you want and all the supplies you will need. You may want to do some research on breeds that you do have wrote down. Some tend to go broody more often and you don't want hens that sit on un-fertile eggs because they won't be producing for you then. Welcome to the crazy world of chickens.
woot.gif
Yeah, last year we bought laying hens because I wasn't ready for babies. Our two Wyandottes do great, but the Black Australorpe ended up getting eaten by something because went broody out in the back field and wouldn't come back to the coop at night (and we couldn't find her to bring her in, or we would have). We found out what happened when our dog drug the carcass into the yard. My son wants another black chicken just like her, so I thought I might get him a rooster of the same breed along with our other girl babies. I'd like to try my hand at hatching next year, I think.

I placed my order tonight. I've got my shipping dates staggered starting the first week of May so they don't all come at once. I've got 3 different orders.
Ideal Hatchery - shipping 5/7 - 10 Self Blue D'uccle & 5 White D'uccle
Ideal Hatchery - shipping 5/28 - 20 Black Crested White Polish, 10 White Crested Red Polish, 10 Red Crested Red Polish, 10 Mottled Cochin Bantams, 10 Self Blue Cochin Bantams, & 10 Self Blue Silkies
Murray McMurray Hatchery - shipping 6/9 - 10 Gold Laced Polish pullets, 2 Gold Laced Polish cockerels, 10 Mottled Houdan pullets, & 2 Mottled Houdan cockerels (and the free rare exotic chick they offer)

Still deciding on where to get my Blue Ameraucanas...although I may just wait on them because I managed to obtain 2 pairs of juvenile Lavender Ameraucanas that should start laying in the next month. There are a few others I'm thinking about ordering but I'm holding off for now. We just ordered a new 20 x 31 barn for our poultry and it should be completely up & ready to go by mid-April at the latest.

Yeah, last year we bought laying hens because I wasn't ready for babies. Our two Wyandottes do great, but the Black Australorpe ended up getting eaten by something because went broody out in the back field and wouldn't come back to the coop at night (and we couldn't find her to bring her in, or we would have). We found out what happened when our dog drug the carcass into the yard. My son wants another black chicken just like her, so I thought I might get him a rooster of the same breed along with our other girl babies. I'd like to try my hand at hatching next year, I think.
We really like our Black Sex-Link hen, she is docile and lays an egg 6 days a week. She is young but has never gone broody on us. Started laying right at 20 weeks old and has been great through the winter.

I've ordered from MM twice and only had one little one pass as soon as I got home.  That was the first order of 26.  On my second order all 27 lived.  I'm hoping my luck continues on my next order in a few months.

They are strong little birds!! I'm impressed even tho I'm dealing with wry neck and I have a little salmon faverolle not eating but I have her on antibiotics and vitamines

Back
Top Bottom