2015 August hatch-a-long!!

After setting 28 eggs in the incubator this AM found a Broody on 10 eggs.

You know you are obsessed beyond help or intervention when you look at a bottle of hand lotion and see air cell progress and wonder why they didn't write dates on them???

Sigh. Hopeless. Anyone else?

Danged varmints!!! Oooooh I'm so mad!

I went out today to check on my pipper from last night only to find the empty shell, no sign of chick, and 2 more eggs missing. I'm cussing snakes today. I've killed so many already this year in my coop. Hadn't thought I was losing any eggs lately till one disappeared the other night from another nest.

Out of 9 started under my first due hen, I have 6 left, 2 are pipping now so I brought them in to the incubator and raised the humidity long enough for them to hatch. Also, the nest had ants, so I sprinkled some diatomaceous earth around in all nests to get rid of them. That's the main reason I brought my next 2 pippers in, I just wanna scream and bash things at the thought that the bleeping ants could possibly get my babies in the shell!!!! ARRRGHHHH!

The empty was properly zipped open and dry and clean, so that's not what happened to the first chick, but I'm going to make sure ants and snakes don't get any of my others.

Any ideas on how to repel snakes, or what size mesh will keep them from getting into a separate constructed cage for broodies? My coop is not airtight, so I don't think I can modify it in order to prevent entry at ground level up. It's hot here and I have chicken wire mesh over the window. I probably need to add a layer of hailscreen to the chickenwire, along with adding some more ventilation windows that can be closed in winter and screening them. We don't have raccoons near after the lengthy drought, but you never know when they will move into your region, and the drought is gone and there are water sources near again. Thanks for any suggestions.

So i decided to candle the eggs in the incubator today (day 6) and all 4 look absolutely clear! I couldn't believe what I was seeing (or not seeing) so I went out into the coop and candled one egg at random and I saw perfect veining! Now I know for sure that my incubator is and has not been working! I'll be getting a thermometer soon as up until now I trusted the thermometer that came with the incubator. I really hope it's just a temp issue. I moved two eggs from the incubator underneath my broody hen and am crossing my fingers that they develop. I've tried to hatch eggs for four months in the incubator and just thought that the eggs I've been getting have been clear or damaged through the mail. I'm so mad right now.

So i decided to candle the eggs in the incubator today (day 6) and all 4 look absolutely clear! I couldn't believe what I was seeing (or not seeing) so I went out into the coop and candled one egg at random and I saw perfect veining! Now I know for sure that my incubator is and has not been working! I'll be getting a thermometer soon as up until now I trusted the thermometer that came with the incubator. I really hope it's just a temp issue. I moved two eggs from the incubator underneath my broody hen and am crossing my fingers that they develop. I've tried to hatch eggs for four months in the incubator and just thought that the eggs I've been getting have been clear or damaged through the mail. I'm so mad right now.

What kind of bator? Those things on top of the styrofoam bators are worthless..always put another thermometer inside. I use cheap ones, but they work fine..the ones from Walmart.

I have a pip. Due to hatch tomorrow, then the Lavender O's on the 2nd. Crossing fingers for those Lavender O's. Only 5 eggs, with wonky air cells. :/

Back
Top Bottom