2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Thanks... wish I knew what day each egg was on. When my son gave them to me he just dropped off 12 eggs, so tiny like golf balls, and said he forgot to collect eggs all week so he didn't know which ones were laid that day or even up to a week old. So I put them all in with my 3 brown eggs. Those little white eggs were half the size of my brown. That was 2 weeks ago so I know all eggs are at least on day 15 or more. That's why I have been candling them so much, to get an idea of what stages they are at.

Keep hoping today is the day... no luck. If and when they ever hatch I will send pics. keep your fingers crossed for a healthy and SOON, hatch.

@GitaBooks, @Gloryjasmine, thanks a bunch! We just moved it to a nice little box under a heat lamp. Its so cute!

Thanks... wish I knew what day each egg was on. When my son gave them to me he just dropped off 12 eggs, so tiny like golf balls, and said he forgot to collect eggs all week so he didn't know which ones were laid that day or even up to a week old.  So I put them all in with my 3 brown eggs.  Those little white eggs were half the size of my brown.  That was 2 weeks ago so I know all eggs are at least on day 15 or more.  That's why I have been candling them so much, to get an idea of what stages they are at.  

Keep hoping today is the day... no luck.  If and when they ever hatch I will send pics.  keep your fingers crossed for a healthy and SOON, hatch.

I sure will! My first broody batch was the same way. I had no idea what was what. I don't think you're suppose to candle daily. I've heard it's not good for the chicks. Constantly taking them out of the bator can mess up the eggs temperature. It's day 7 and day 14. I know you're not sure of the exact days,I get it. That's frustrating. I know I've read this a few times while researching. Just be patient. Can somebody here help me out on if I'm correct on saying candling daily could harm the unborn babes?

Last edited:
Thanks... wish I knew what day each egg was on. When my son gave them to me he just dropped off 12 eggs, so tiny like golf balls, and said he forgot to collect eggs all week so he didn't know which ones were laid that day or even up to a week old.  So I put them all in with my 3 brown eggs.  Those little white eggs were half the size of my brown.  That was 2 weeks ago so I know all eggs are at least on day 15 or more.  That's why I have been candling them so much, to get an idea of what stages they are at.  

Keep hoping today is the day... no luck.  If and when they ever hatch I will send pics.  keep your fingers crossed for a healthy and SOON, hatch.

I hope you get a great, healthy hatch! :D

Thanks... wish I knew what day each egg was on. When my son gave them to me he just dropped off 12 eggs, so tiny like golf balls, and said he forgot to collect eggs all week so he didn't know which ones were laid that day or even up to a week old. So I put them all in with my 3 brown eggs. Those little white eggs were half the size of my brown. That was 2 weeks ago so I know all eggs are at least on day 15 or more. That's why I have been candling them so much, to get an idea of what stages they are at.

Keep hoping today is the day... no luck. If and when they ever hatch I will send pics. keep your fingers crossed for a healthy and SOON, hatch.
If you started incubating them all at the same time, then they are all at the same stage. Development doesn't start until after incubation begins. An egg sitting in the nest, or in a carton on the counter is not being incubated, and therefore is not developing.

I sure will! My first broody batch was the same way. I had no idea what was what. I don't think you're suppose to candle daily. I've heard it's not good for the chicks. Constantly taking them out of the brooder can mess up the eggs temperature. It's day 7 and day 14. I know you're not sure of the exact days,I get it. That's frustrating. I know I've read this a few times while researching. Just be patient. Can somebody here help me out on if I'm correct on saying candling daily could harm the unborn babes?
I try not to candle too often and luckily I have a great 185 lumen flashlight that I can actually shine through the window of the bator and into the eggs. I don't need to remove them from the bator. At least the white ones I don't. The brown eggs are very difficult to candle and I have had to remove those quickly to try and get a read on them but since I know when those were laid I have a better idea and only have to candle a on the right days.

Maybe you can answer a humidity question. I know I am supposed to raise it for the last few days but my hygrometer is showing quite high already and there is no water inside. Should I just leave it dry or assume my meter is wrong and add a little sponge or something.
My air sells look good on the white eggs but the brown eggs they look a little small.
thanks for any advice

If you started incubating them all at the same time, then they are all at the same stage. Development doesn't start until after incubation begins. An egg sitting in the nest, or in a carton on the counter is not being incubated, and therefore is not developing.
ok, but since my son grabbed them from under his hens they were starting to develop. I could also tell this because I candled them when he gave them to me. I think he felt sorry for me because I only have 2 hens here and one lays eggs... the other doesn't. She is kind of broody but won't sit on a batch for long periods and lets the eggs get cold. Tried a batch with her and all eggs went bad. So I got a bator and this is the first try. I only had 3 eggs to start with, that is why my son showed up with a dozen of his.

not the idea situation but once he handed them over I had to do something with them.

I try not to candle too often and luckily I have a great 185 lumen flashlight that I can actually shine through the window of the bator and into the eggs.  I don't need to remove them from the bator.  At least the white ones I don't.  The brown eggs are very difficult to candle and I have had to remove those quickly to try and get a read on them but since I know when those were laid I have a better idea and only have to candle a on the right days.

Maybe you can answer a humidity question.  I know I am supposed to raise it for the last few days but my hygrometer is showing quite high already and there is no water inside.  Should I just leave it dry or assume my meter is wrong and add a little sponge or something.
My air sells look good on the white eggs but the brown eggs they look a little small.
thanks for any advice

Oh ok well that's good. Also be careful not to contaminate the eggs. The post before me is right on starting at the same time. They don't grow just sitting there. Day 1 would start when you put them in the bator. Or in my case,when my broody starts setting. They need heat to grow. Ahhhhh they were being sat on by his hen??? Oh brother.... Well all I can say is it's not too bad to wait. I mean yea,you don't want a quitter exploding and contaminating the others. But I think I'd just keep an eye out. Didn't you say you had 3 brown eggs in already? Do you remember what day that was that you started those?

Last edited:
Aww hon,I'm sorry. Live and learn. Each experience is an opportunity to grow. You'll have more knowledge next time around. I cannot help you with the humidity question. But I know someone will! But what I CAN do is Pray for you and your peace of mind. And for your babes. Healthy is the most important thing. Keep me posted please?

Last edited:
Oh ok well that's good. Also be careful not to contaminate the eggs. The post before me is right on starting at the same time. They don't grow just sitting there. Day 1 would start when you put them in the bator. Or in my case,when my broody starts setting. They need heat to grow. Ahhhhh they were being sat on by his hen??? Oh brother.... Well all I can say is it's not too bad to wait. I mean yea,you don't want a quitter exploding and contaminating the others. But I think I'd just keep an eye out. Didn't you say you had 3 brown eggs in already? Do you remember what day that was that you started those?
HI, I put my 3 brown eggs in on the 24th of July and he brought over his eggs on the 26th of July but he has multiple hens and some eggs were under a couple of his broody ones. When I candled his they were all more developed than mine were. I did have 2 that ended up quitting and I did get those out before they could explode. All the remaining ones had looked good and at last candling they were moving. I can even see once in a while through the window that an egg is moving around a bit. lol doesn't help that it has been raining all day here so I am stuck in side and day off work today too. Need to go shopping or something so I don't keep looking for something to happen.
thanks for the support

Back
Top Bottom