2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Thanks.
smile.png

Dalmatian Bantams (different from the Dalmatian Chickens from Europe) are a fun experiment I'm working with. Here's a picture.

Goldie, one of my original two Dalmatians

Dastan, my only Dalmatian rooster (he's grown up now) that I have at this point. I had two others, but they fought too much (sebrights and OEGB are in their genetics, both aggressive breeds. Hopefully the silkie in there will dampen that).

I love your spotted chicken... She is much like a paint Silkie with normal feathers. I am really curious to know how those chicks turn out, what a fun project!

Sorry to hear about your eggs
hugs.gif

Ciry..remember, don't toss until day 10!   If you are seeing air sacs, you probably know there is a chance of something growing.   :)  

Thanks well I got to day 14 before I threw any eggs away but the 2 that I suspected were infertile and an early death were exactly those things upon being eggtopsied.. so I have 10/12 shipped eggs that will make it to lockdown not bad for shipped eggs... I was expecting no more than 50% to make it this far on day 16 now... 2 more until lockdown :)

I am so excited about your eggs!  Good luck with the hatch!  I am a little Silkie crazed right now : )

My 3rd egg didn't make it but I did get at least one paint chick and another light colored one.  It had pink skin on its shoulders so I wonder if it is a paint also since apparently that can happen with paints.  Hopefully it will darken up!

Thanks I'm pretty excited about them too :D After last months disappointing hatch... had 4 Paint x Black Silkie eggs make it to lockdown... I got 2 very nice black chicks (paint carriers) my other 2 eggs failed to hatch both shrink wrapped... and 1 malpositioned aswell as being shrink wrapped... I'm hoping for atleast 1 paint to hatch this time around :)

Lost the youngest silkie yesterday and meat chickens. This heat is crazy. +35 yesterday. Baby button died this morning but there must have been something wrong. Mom and dad are looking after the other 4. Mom and dad are both wild colour but babies are 2 yellow, 1 wild and 1 wild with a white face.

Well this morning I have one additional chick still. One is rocking an rollin but no pips. The one I am concerned with has made a hole in the egg and the beak is sticking out and moving but I can see a lot of blood or blood / liquid mix. Not sure this one is going to make it... not making any progress with the piping and it has been 15 hours since he pipped. I know we aren't supposed to help and I am fine not doing that but does anyone have any experience with this bloody type? I was afraid it would drown in there with all the liquid so I moved the new chick out of the bater because she was crashing into everything and turning them all around.
Gonna go look on the site for info but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know ASAP thanks

So maybe I'm just being impatient but today is day 20 for my broody's lone Australorp egg and it hasn't pipped yet... don't they normally pip on day 19 or 20?

Day 20 1/2 and it's ALIVE!!! Internal pip (Candled again this morning)!
Edited to add: How long from internal pip to hatch usually? I'm going to be at work and I really wanted to be there to watch baby hatch :/

Last edited:
Ok so I see the silkie gene and the bantam gene. But where did the spots come from??? (I know there was not an actual Dalmatian involved
1f601.png
1f62e.png
1f60a.png
). I'm so naive to this stuff so please,bare with me!!! Lol

I created the "Dalmatian Bantam" (not a true breed yet, but I'm working on it) by breeding a Red Pyle Old English Game, Silver Sebright and White Silkie together. They are a hardy, good foraging breed that is large enough to cover a good number of eggs but small enough that they don't eat too much or take up much room. All of mine were parent-raised, so I'm not sure how tame they are, but they do wonderfully in all sorts of weather conditions. The spots some how came because of the Silver Sebright in them. Even the little chicks have adorable little spots!

I'm hatching a small number (5-6 eggs) starting today just to see how well they breed true. I'm introducing a new white silkie and a few silver sebrights into my flock, since they are beginning to inbreed amongst each other. I'm going to see if I can get Dastan away from his sisters and into a flock with some sebright hens and my sebright roosters in with Dastan's sisters.

Rudy (she doesnt' have spots) and Amber (she is lacking a crest)

My original Red Pyle OEGB with the original four Dalmatian chicks, showing those adorable little black spots

I'd be glad to look at pictures of your bantams.
smile.png

Well this morning I have one additional chick still. One is rocking an rollin but no pips. The one I am concerned with has made a hole in the egg and the beak is sticking out and moving but I can see a lot of blood or blood / liquid mix. Not sure this one is going to make it... not making any progress with the piping and it has been 15 hours since he pipped. I know we aren't supposed to help and I am fine not doing that but does anyone have any experience with this bloody type? I was afraid it would drown in there with all the liquid so I moved the new chick out of the bater because she was crashing into everything and turning them all around.
Gonna go look on the site for info but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know ASAP thanks

I think all chicks bleed a little when they first open their membrane, as even those ready to hatch will bleed if the membrane is nicked. However, some chicks feel the need to try to get out early if they hear their siblings getting out (at least that is how it seems) and others may have not developed properly. When my chick bled (I had thought it was dead and opened up part of the egg) I propped the egg up so the blood wouldn't get into its beak.

Best of luck!

Day 20 1/2 and it's ALIVE!!! Internal pip (Candled again this morning)!
Edited to add: How long from internal pip to hatch usually? I'm going to be at work and I really wanted to be there to watch baby hatch
hmm.png

Congrats!

It really varies. Some hatch in less then an hour! Others take a few hours. It really depends on the strength of the chick and the thickness of the shell, ect.

Lost the youngest silkie yesterday and meat chickens. This heat is crazy. +35 yesterday. Baby button died this morning but there must have been something wrong. Mom and dad are looking after the other 4. Mom and dad are both wild colour but babies are 2 yellow, 1 wild and 1 wild with a white face.

Get the hose out, soak down where they travel, soak it, and where they like to lay...dust bath. It really helps my chickens. When the heat is really high, I do this a couple of times a day, but under our apple trees, it seems to stay pretty damp with just one real good soaking. They live under those trees when it's real hot. Sorry you lost some chickens..it's always so sad. :/

Back
Top Bottom