2015 August hatch-a-long!!

I created the "Dalmatian Bantam" (not a true breed yet, but I'm working on it) by breeding a Red Pyle Old English Game, Silver Sebright and White Silkie together. They are a hardy, good foraging breed that is large enough to cover a good number of eggs but small enough that they don't eat too much or take up much room. All of mine were parent-raised, so I'm not sure how tame they are, but they do wonderfully in all sorts of weather conditions. The spots some how came because of the Silver Sebright in them. Even the little chicks have adorable little spots! I'm hatching a small number (5-6 eggs) starting today just to see how well they breed true. I'm introducing a new white silkie and a few silver sebrights into my flock, since they are beginning to inbreed amongst each other. I'm going to see if I can get Dastan away from his sisters and into a flock with some sebright hens and my sebright roosters in with Dastan's sisters. Rudy (she doesnt' have spots) and Amber (she is lacking a crest) My original Red Pyle OEGB with the original four Dalmatian chicks, showing those adorable little black spots I'd be glad to look at pictures of your bantams. :)
. They're gorgeous! I'd love to own one. Ok I'll work on getting you some pics. Also,I have a bird..... Safe to say it like that,and when we purchased it.....we were told it was a she. Lol but but but... I'm convinced that she is a he!!!!! This bird is so large. And it's comb is very red and much bigger than my hens' combs. His legs are very thick and his feathers shoot down into like pointed tips. Not rounded like the hens. Plus,it was just about the time we got " " that my eggs were fertile!!! I thought my lil bantam Roo had finally stepped up. Lol I don't think so. And I've never ever seen her lay an egg. Not even lay in the egg nests!!!! Her name was Alley.... But I changed it to Alleyoops!!!! Lol I'll send a pic of her/him too. Maybe you can be of help there as well.

I haven't been on BYC in a long time. I spotted this posting and it's perfect timing. I just plugged in the incubator-Hova bator 2362N with self turner, and I am refreshing my mind on temps and humidity settings. I'm in FL.
If things are working correctly, I'll be hatching in August, too. Please reply with your recommendations.
smile.png
I had 72% hatch! 29 chicks! Now a week old.

Hi all, still in the holding pattern here on the remaining 2 little white eggs. One still has his beak out and there was some bleeding but he is breathing. been like this for about 24 hrs now and yes I am getting a little concerned. he seems awfully "wet" in there but he does chirp every once in a while and I can see him breathing so I guess we just wait. I have damp paper towels on the egg to make sure he doesn't dry out. Anyone have any advise or suggestions on this?

Second egg is not showing any more signs of life. last night he was really rocking and rollin and chirping inside. I can see through the window with my flashlight that his beak is in the air cell so he did internally pip but we haven't had any sign of life in 15 hours.

Can you tell this is my first batch of eggs? lol

Remaining 3 large brown eggs are not due until later this weekend and hopefully those will be smooth like the first 6 I got.
Words of wisdom anyone?

Not sure if it's hatched yet. The damp paper towel isn't necessary. Could cause more problems than not. Just keep the humidity around 60 to 62. Good luck!

Can't believe Monday is going to be lock down on my own eggs. Then three days later more of some that I collected from having a rooster for a while. Fun. Wish I could keep a rooster out there. He was so cute doing his little dance around the girls.

Not sure if it's hatched yet. The damp paper towel isn't necessary. Could cause more problems than not. Just keep the humidity around 60 to 62. Good luck!
Hi, thanks I will do that. Hasn't hatched yet but still breathing.
second egg- still no movement any more.

GITABOOKS: HERE ARE MY PICS OF THE CHICKENS I WAS REFERRING TO.

This is my bantam Roo,Oliver. Is he an English Game?

This is my hen,Alley. Who I now think is my rooster,Alley-oops! I also think that he is the one fertilizing my eggs. I haven't personally seen him crow. However,I have been hearing an odd crow in the mornings. I just attributed this to my little bantam trying to clear his throat! And my bantam Roo struts around "cookadoing ",as I call it
1f60a.png
,all day!!!

This is my precious little bantam hen,Bella. Or as my husband calls her,"iddy bitty" and "half pint"!
1f618.png
Is she any specific kind of bantam?

Thank you so much for your help.
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png

Last edited:
Day 20 1/2 and it's ALIVE!!! Internal pip (Candled again this morning)!
Edited to add: How long from internal pip to hatch usually? I'm going to be at work and I really wanted to be there to watch baby hatch :/

12 hours later and I'm home! I thought I was going to come home to a baby chick but this baby is taking it's time. The shell is cracked on the surface but no external pip, I assume it is working on creating an external pip. I might not be able to sleep tonight LOL

Well my little one has hatched but is not in great shape. I was worried because of the long time having the pip open and so much liquid / blood. He is out of the shell but has a big blob hanging out of him like he hasn't absorbed all the yoke sac or something. It is kind red and not yellow so I am not sure what this is really called but I did see someone else on one of the threads had this issue .
Now I am desperately trying to find that thread and see what I need to do to help the little one.. or do I leave him alone and he will slowly absorb it? Kind of has a think thread that is still attached to half the shell that is being dragged around too but I think that might break off when it dries some more.

Anyone been through this and no what to do?
thanks

Well my little one has hatched but is not in great shape.  I was worried because of the long time having the pip open and so much liquid / blood.  He is out of the shell but has a big blob hanging out of him like he hasn't absorbed all the yoke sac or something.  It is kind red and not yellow so I am not sure what this is really called but I did see someone else on one of the threads had this issue .
Now I am desperately trying to find that thread and see what I need to do to help the little one.. or do I leave him alone and he will slowly absorb it?  Kind of has a think thread that is still attached to half the shell that is being dragged around too but I think that might break off when it dries some more.

Anyone been through this and no what to do?
thanks

I haven't been through what you are describing yet but I believe I saw that thread too and they separated the chick to keep others from pecking on him and to see if he'll absorb it. If I remember correctly the chick didn't make it but I wish you luck. I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

Back
Top Bottom