2015 August hatch-a-long!!

All 7 of my guinea eggs have pipped! Of course it's time for bed and I'll probably have new babies in the morning. Hate to miss the openings and trying not to count my keets before they are out.
1f423.png

Just beautiful! I'm now wondering if the gray babies that my hen was killing belonged to my Black Austrolorp. I thought they were my Barred Rocks babies. Hmmmmm not too sure now. Congratulations mama!!!
1f44d.png
1f426.png
1f427.png
1f426.png
Is your rooster barred? If only the mother is barred, then the chicks are sexlinks. The males will have a white spot on the back of the head. Females will be solid black or look like Australorp chicks.

Is your rooster barred? If only the mother is barred, then the chicks are sexlinks. The males will have a white spot on the back of the head. Females will be solid black or look like Australorp chicks.

No he's not. One mother is Barred and the other mother is Austrolorp. They all had a light yellowish spot on the top of their head and same color on their bellies/butts. So now what? Lol

No he's not. One mother is Barred and the other mother is Austrolorp. They all had a light yellowish spot on the top of their head and same color on their bellies/butts. So now what? Lol
The yellow dot on the back of the head means the chick has the barring gene. Barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male chicks. If all the chicks had the head spot, then the Barred Rock was the only mother, and all the chicks were male.

The next egg is due in 6 days, I'm hoping she stays on long enough.

She probably won't stay on that long.
sad.png

I would suggest setting up or borrowing an incubator and removing that egg so she can get up, stretch, and start feeding her chicks and teaching them how to drink and the like.

Wow, tomorrow is my last day of turning for my first batch of a rooster that I had for a while. Then, three days later, lock down again for the second batch I collected from Mister. Can't wait to see what these babies will look like. The rooster is a Blue Copper Marans, bet I get some little boots on some..or most of those legs.

bb..good luck..hope you do wake up to some babies!

The yellow dot on the back of the head means the chick has the barring gene. Barred hens can only pass their barring gene to their male chicks. If all the chicks had the head spot, then the Barred Rock was the only mother, and all the chicks were male.

Yikes! That's a lot of Roos! Awww well like I said before,my one hen,who's not barred(idk what she is actually) was killing these chicks. Maybe this is why. Now in the first clutch,there were the yellow and brown chicks. Which 3 of them are living and doing so well! (The only mama hen that I had that resembled these colors ,was killed by a black snake. The eggs were eaten by the same black snake. ) The two mothers(Austrolorp and gray hen)are buddies! And they hang out with their young. It's actually quite neat. I have 3 more barred chicks,I purchased as 3 day olds,that don't have the spot. That's a good sign of all females! And 7 RIR's, which I have no idea how to sex. But all 10 of these babies are doing well also. However,they're currently separated. I'm afraid for their safety after the killings. Glad to say though,my mean broody,Gabby,is snapping out of her broody spell! She roosted last night!

So here's Gabby...anyone have any ideas? I've heard mixed breed. And Wison,Austrolorp. As you can see,these mamas are tight! They kind of share the 3 youngins,Peanut,Flip and Flop. Lol my husband helped with these names! :yiipchick

Last edited:
Yikes! That's a lot of Roos! Awww well like I said before,my one hen,who's not barred(idk what she is actually) was killing these chicks. Maybe this is why. Now in the first clutch,there were the yellow and brown chicks. Which 3 of them are living and doing so well! (The only mama hen that I had that resembled these colors ,was killed by a black snake. The eggs were eaten by the same black snake. ) The two mothers(Austrolorp and gray hen)are buddies! And they hang out with their young. It's actually quite neat. I have 3 more barred chicks,I purchased as 3 day olds,that don't have the spot. That's a good sign of all females! And 7 RIR's, which I have no idea how to sex. But all 10 of these babies are doing well also. However,they're currently separated. I'm afraid for their safety after the killings. Glad to say though,my mean broody,Gabby,is snapping out of her broody spell! She roosted last night!

So here's Gabby...anyone have any ideas? I've heard mixed breed. And Wison,Austrolorp. As you can see,these mamas are tight! They kind of share the 3 youngins,Peanut,Flip and Flop. Lol my husband helped with these names! :yiipchick

These pics are adorable. I hope to have a broody to hatch next year.

Back
Top Bottom