2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Male barred birds can pass their barring gene to both their male and female offspring. This is why purebred males look 'lighter' than the females. They have 2 copies of the barring gene, one from their mother and one from their father. Purebred females only have one barred gene, and it can only come from the father.
interesting

so does male barred only give there daughters the barred gene

Wow this is interesting! Ok the mom is barred. The dad idk what he is. But he isn't barred. The ones that were killed were all gray. Some light some dark. Some with white spots,some without. The new ones I purchased are suppose to be all girls. But I was told that about a Roo too! Trust no one! Lol these 3 have yellow spots on the head. And their wings are showing the barred colors and pattern.
1f60f.png
Ladies?

If you bought them as pure Barred Rocks or Dominiques, they are supposed to have the white head spot. It indicates the barring gene is present. It only indicates male, if the mother is barred and the father is not. In a purebred bird, both parents are barred, so all the chicks will be barred.

Hi all,
We should be hatching August 29th, maybe the 30th. We have 28 in, but my husband cracked one already.
Anyway, we are new to BYC even though we've been following for years and researching.
Both of us grew up with chickens. My husband raised quite a few at a time on his own while he was a younger.
My family raised about 100+ every year for the freezer.

We're starting out simple, Barred Rock and RIR for the purpose of egg laying. Fingers crossed that we get quite a few hens.
I took the pic without the sponge and had to move the thermometer, but essentially we're 8 days in now. Yippee!
yippiechickie.gif

If you bought them as pure Barred Rocks or Dominiques, they are supposed to have the white head spot. It indicates the barring gene is present. It only indicates male, if the mother is barred and the father is not. In a purebred bird, both parents are barred, so all the chicks will be barred.

Ok so they are barred. But I do not know their parents. So I guess we'll see eventually. The ones that were hatched and killed here on my farm,did have a barred mama and an unknown breed daddy. I do know that he is not barred. I'll send pics! Thank you so much!!!
1f44d.png
1f60a.png
263a.png
1f609.png

Ps...Dominiques???

Last edited:
Hi all, We should be hatching August 29th, maybe the 30th. We have 28 in, but my husband cracked one already. Anyway, we are new to BYC even though we've been following for years and researching. Both of us grew up with chickens. My husband raised quite a few at a time on his own while he was a younger. My family raised about 100+ every year for the freezer. We're starting out simple, Barred Rock and RIR for the purpose of egg laying. Fingers crossed that we get quite a few hens. I took the pic without the sponge and had to move the thermometer, but essentially we're 8 days in now. Yippee!:yiipchick
Welcome and Congratulations!!! Great breeds!!! Love to know how it's progressing.
1f60a.png
God bless.

Last edited:
Update: my two bantam chicks,Sable and Andy, are great! My last 5 eggs didn't hatch. I had one that wasn't fertile and 4 "quitters".
1f62a.png
I have another 4 from Wilson that were a bit behind so we'll see what happens. I'm happy with my two bantam chicks! They're the only other bantams I have other than ma and pa.

Congrats on the two chicks!
smile.png

I'm hoping to get a few bantams myself.

Hi all,
We should be hatching August 29th, maybe the 30th. We have 28 in, but my husband cracked one already.
Anyway, we are new to BYC even though we've been following for years and researching.
Both of us grew up with chickens. My husband raised quite a few at a time on his own while he was a younger.
My family raised about 100+ every year for the freezer.

We're starting out simple, Barred Rock and RIR for the purpose of egg laying. Fingers crossed that we get quite a few hens.
I took the pic without the sponge and had to move the thermometer, but essentially we're 8 days in now. Yippee!
yippiechickie.gif

How exciting!
smile.png

Keep us updated on their progress.

Back
Top Bottom