2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Day 20 & I've had 8 baby's hatch out!!! They are adorable!!

6 more possibly left to hatch.

Day 19, and I have 5 chicks scooting around the hatcher :eek: Oops, I guess my temps were a tad bit high. They're all doing well though. There are 3 EEs and 2 (potential) OEs so far. I've got 9 eggs still hanging out and another batch due to go on lockdown the 26th :woot

And, we didn't start on the brooder yet either :oops: It rained on Friday, what did I tell y'all? I knew it would rain. It always does when I make plans to do something outside :/ I have another pen I think I'll move some of the older chicks into in a few days. I normally use it as my sale pen, so I'll move everyone I don't plan on keeping into it soon. The only drawback is it doesn't have a heat lamp and I can't run one to it, I'd need at least 2 extension cords to make that work. The older chicks aren't feathered in yet, they've still got some downey spots and naked heads. I just hope theres enough of them that they can huddle up and keep warm. I think I'll add a box for them to snuggle into just in case :fl

Glory, like your new Avatar...baby chicks, enjoying the outside! 

Thank you Cynthia! Yes so those are our RIR's and Barred Rocks. Purchased as 3 day olds. Due to the recent killings of a few chicks by my broody,Gabby,and just the whole "introduction phase",my husband and I built them a redneck tractor!!! Just some very small holed fencing,wrapped in a circle. Fastened with wire ties. And another piece of fencing that's framed in wood,as the top. They love being moved around to range safely. I'm working on the "intertwine phase" now. Sometimes also while the big girls and the roos range,I'll let the chickie-doos out in the run and close the door. So they have plenty of room to flap around and be silly girls. And they're protected from the meanie hens as well as any predators. It will be nice when I know everyone gets along and is safe. I won't let the youngins free range alone right now. I'm hoping eventually,one or all of the bigger girls take em under wing.
1f413.png
1f425.png

Day 19, and I have 5 chicks scooting around the hatcher :eek: Oops, I guess my temps were a tad bit high. They're all doing well though. There are 3 EEs and 2 (potential) OEs so far. I've got 9 eggs still hanging out and another batch due to go on lockdown the 26th :woot

And, we didn't start on the brooder yet either :oops: It rained on Friday, what did I tell y'all? I knew it would rain. It always does when I make plans to do something outside :/ I have another pen I think I'll move some of the older chicks into in a few days. I normally use it as my sale pen, so I'll move everyone I don't plan on keeping into it soon. The only drawback is it doesn't have a heat lamp and I can't run one to it, I'd need at least 2 extension cords to make that work. The older chicks aren't feathered in yet, they've still got some downey spots and naked heads. I just hope theres enough of them that they can huddle up and keep warm. I think I'll add a box for them to snuggle into just in case :fl

Now promise you won't laugh.....just a thought. I have two bantam chicks inside with me. I do not have a brooder. I've come up with a small cat carrier,with a heating pad inside,a washcloth over it and a little bit of pine chips. They stay very warm and cozy. However,I noticed they were having a hard time falling asleep. I thought about it and I had an epiphany! Lol what would they normally be doing right now if they were to be going to sleep with their mama? Yes! Nestling up under her breast. Snuggled in her feathers. So ,here's the part where you promised not to laugh,I put a stuffed animal frog in their house. Yep. A green plushy dog toy. And omgosh did it make a world of difference. It's the cutest thing. Every time they go nauny,they both get right up under Brea,the mama frog.
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f438.png
. I know it's usually different when you have multiples. My chicks that are about a week older are snuggling up at night and warm. Maybe this will give you an idea? Maybe just add a smile to your face.
263a.png
And everyone else's here! Lol good luck sweetie! (Also added a blanket over the carrier as chicken have an internal alarm clock. Dawn,wakey wakey. Dusk,snoozy time!)

3 hours from being officially day 21 and the first of two black oegb babies has been welcomed to the world :)

And the other one has pipped. It was a very stressful day of canning peaches away from my incubator and I had some doubts about the membrane thought it was shrink wrapping the baby. And I think it did a bit on the head. It was like movies where the chick runs around with a shell on its head. Lol except scarier and not as long. Will post pics when the new baby is warm dry and fuzzy :)

Now promise you won't laugh.....just a thought. I have two bantam chicks inside with me. I do not have a brooder. I've come up with a small cat carrier,with a heating pad inside,a washcloth over it and a little bit of pine chips. They stay very warm and cozy. However,I noticed they were having a hard time falling asleep. I thought about it and I had an epiphany! Lol what would they normally be doing right now if they were to be going to sleep with their mama? Yes! Nestling up under her breast. Snuggled in her feathers. So ,here's the part where you promised not to laugh,I put a stuffed animal frog in their house. Yep. A green plushy dog toy. And omgosh did it make a world of difference. It's the cutest thing. Every time they go nauny,they both get right up under Brea,the mama frog.
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f438.png
. I know it's usually different when you have multiples. My chicks that are about a week older are snuggling up at night and warm. Maybe this will give you an idea? Maybe just add a smile to your face.
263a.png
And everyone else's here! Lol good luck sweetie! (Also added a blanket over the carrier as chicken have an internal alarm clock. Dawn,wakey wakey. Dusk,snoozy time!)

Congrats on the chicks!
woot.gif

That is such a wonderful idea! I've heard of that working with ducks but I've never heard of anyone trying it with chickens. I guess I'll have to try that if I ever have a small group of chicks again.

@GitaBooks
Pics please would like to know what shape of an animal to get for my two new little oegb hatchlings :) as they will be alone for two weeks.

Update:Both healthy but a little sticky however only the back of the head and neck were affected. Didn't seem like my last hatch with sticky chick but I could be wrong it's only my second hatch. Any ideas? Also for the life of me I couldn't remember will their toes straighten at all? My second one hatched a little after 8 am but I think it's toes are curled or looked that way at hatch. Looks like we might be making him/her a pair of boots later. Don't want to hurt the baby though I know it'll help it in the long run. Gotta dry first though. Will post pics when dry.

Back
Top Bottom