2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Lock down eve!
Its our first hatch. Neither my husband or I haven't had chickens since we were kids.
Out of the original 28, we rechecked tonight and pulled 4 that seemed to have quit some time after day 11. So we have 24 in lock down, hoping for great things by Saturday.
fl.gif

Last edited:

21 to hatch out of the 24 eggs that went into lockdown. The 3 that didn't hatch, one was an early quitter...and the other two were porous and didn't develop completely.
5 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
16 Olive Eggers ( first generation)

Now to start saving eggs for next month.
1f600.png

They are adorable! Congrats!

Now promise you won't laugh.....just a thought. I have two bantam chicks inside with me. I do not have a brooder. I've come up with a small cat carrier,with a heating pad inside,a washcloth over it and a little bit of pine chips. They stay very warm and cozy. However,I noticed they were having a hard time falling asleep. I thought about it and I had an epiphany! Lol what would they normally be doing right now if they were to be going to sleep with their mama? Yes! Nestling up under her breast. Snuggled in her feathers. So ,here's the part where you promised not to laugh,I put a stuffed animal frog in their house. Yep. A green plushy dog toy. And omgosh did it make a world of difference. It's the cutest thing. Every time they go nauny,they both get right up under Brea,the mama frog.
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f438.png
. I know it's usually different when you have multiples. My chicks that are about a week older are snuggling up at night and warm. Maybe this will give you an idea? Maybe just add a smile to your face.
263a.png
And everyone else's here! Lol good luck sweetie! (Also added a blanket over the carrier as chicken have an internal alarm clock. Dawn,wakey wakey. Dusk,snoozy time!)

I love this idea. I was waiting for you to say you had them in your shirt, but a stuffed dog toy is a better idea and one we might borrow.

Lol!!!! Actually.....I did have one chick that I'd put in the bottom of my shirt. Or cupped in my hand or nestled in a shirt on my chest. In my bed. Lol with my 2 cats!! What the??!!?
1f601.png
I read another idea that I copied. A bandana around my neck. And her inside. I could still go about my daily routine. I can't remember who I stole that from...I believe it was someone on here!!!!

Went to shut the coop door tonight and my 7 month old Jersey Giant is broody! 6 eggs in the incubator due within the next 24-48 hours, and I now have a hen sitting on a pile of eggs. At least I have the incubator ready to go if she decides that she doesn't want to sit. Looks like I'm going to have to join the September hatch along, too.

Easter Eggers are not ideal for breeding Olive Eggers. They might have two blue egg genes, or they might have only one. If they only have one, then the odds of inheriting that gene are about 50/50. Basically, some of the chicks will grow up to lay dark green eggs, and some would lay brown. Add in the fact that about half the hatch will be male, you only have a 25% chance of getting a pullet that has the right combination of genes.

Went to shut the coop door tonight and my 7 month old Jersey Giant is broody! 6 eggs in the incubator due within the next 24-48 hours, and I now have a hen sitting on a pile of eggs. At least I have the incubator ready to go if she decides that she doesn't want to sit. Looks like I'm going to have to join the September hatch along, too.

Yay you! Usually when she's broody,she'll follow through. I've got my young banty setting on 8 now! I think she'll stay,even though this will be her first time. Good luck!

This is Bella. She's a sweet sweet girl.

And here's her soul mate,Oliver.

The two bantams are the parents of the two banty chicks,Sable and Andy. The black austrolorp in the background is Wilson. She has 2 beautiful chicks. Flip and Flop.
(Is it just me or are my pics fuzzy looking?)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom