2015 August hatch-a-long!!

This is just wonderful. So ecstatic for you!! Ooooohhh I just love hearing and seeing other peoples successful journeys. What an awesome God we have. That He would not only create these precious little miracles,but that He would also entrust them to us. So undeserving we are and yet He loves us so unconditionally!!!! Ok I'm done....sorry I just get so excited!!!!
1f603.png
1f606.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f600.png
1f60a.png
lol

@Gloryjasmine
How long has your banty hen been sitting on them? Isn't it possible that she might abandon the eggs of given the chicks? Idk I just thought I had read that on BYC somewhere

I'm going to attempt to make some Olive eggers. I just purchased a Copper Maran that gets delivered this weekend. I plan on putting him with my EE. Does this sound right to you?
To answer...yes you can do this and might even end up with an Olive Egger...but as junebuggena pointed out you may not.

Easter Eggers are not ideal for breeding Olive Eggers. They might have two blue egg genes, or they might have only one. If they only have one, then the odds of inheriting that gene are about 50/50. Basically, some of the chicks will grow up to lay dark green eggs, and some would lay brown. Add in the fact that about half the hatch will be male, you only have a 25% chance of getting a pullet that has the right combination of genes.
My understanding...and others please correct me if I'm wrong...an EE hen is basically any hen that lays a bluish/green colored egg. There is a lot of variation in the egg colors with these chickens...you never know what you are going to get. With that being said I'll share a link to a chart of egg colors/ results. I saved it from the internet...and well you know how everything from the internet is "always" true
gig.gif
...but it seems like a good basic reference. Have fun experimenting with your chickens!

http://www.cclfarms.com/#!the-eggs/c181p

I did join the OE group & will be putting my Ameraucauna & Legbars in with the Maran instead. I was told this will be my greatest chance to get OE.
Thanks for the link & now I've changed my game plan. How long does it take for hens to clear out semen from a rooster? My girls are with an Ameraucauna rooster right now.
3 weeks before I start pulling eggs to incubate sound right?

I did join the OE group & will be putting my Ameraucauna & Legbars in with the Maran instead. I was told this will be my greatest chance to get OE.
Thanks for the link & now I've changed my game plan. How long does it take for hens to clear out semen from a rooster? My girls are with an Ameraucauna rooster right now.
3 weeks before I start pulling eggs to incubate sound right?
Very good luck! I eventually want to do an OE pen. Maybe this spring.
I'm working on getting the breeds to make OEs right now.

Back
Top Bottom