2015 August hatch-a-long!!

I did join the OE group & will be putting my Ameraucauna & Legbars in with the Maran instead. I was told this will be my greatest chance to get OE.
Thanks for the link & now I've changed my game plan. How long does it take for hens to clear out semen from a rooster? My girls are with an Ameraucauna rooster right now.
3 weeks before I start pulling eggs to incubate sound right?
Some say less, but I think that at least 3 weeks or even a month if you want to be positive. Glad you have some other options for your OE!

@Gloryjasmine
How long has your banty hen been sitting on them? Isn't it possible that she might abandon the eggs of given the chicks? Idk I just thought I had read that on BYC somewhere

She just started a few days ago. I'll call day one the 24th. You mean if I try to give her the two Bantams that I've been raising? Yes she probably will. I didn't even think about that. Thank you.

@Gloryjasmine
Yes your pics look a bit fuzzy, hmmm wonder why. And your Oliver looks just like our Nugget. Do you know what he is? Where did you get him?

I think it's because sometimes I've taken a pic with my phone and then ,with my iPad ,took a pic of the pic on my phone!!!! Silly right?! I just updated both devices so I should be able to send any pics from my phone directly to my iPad. I'm told he's an English Game. Possibly Old? My husband and I purchased he and the bantam hen at an auction.

Last edited:

My 2nd batch if eggs in my staggered hatch isn't due till Friday. However when I opened incubator to turn my other eggs... I see 4 already pip & Zipping along. Is it normal for them to hatch early?

How do I know they are boys? I'm trying to do the feather sexing but they all look the same
I have Barred Rock, Australorp, and Jersey Giant hens. My rooster is a big red Easter Egger. Since barred hens can only pass their barring on to their male offspring, any chicks with a white spot on the back of their heads (indicating the barring gene), are male. The last two chicks have a white head spot, therefore, they are boys.
Now, this doesn't mean that the 4 chicks with solid black heads aren't guaranteed female. The sexlinks pullets, Australorp chicks, and Giant chicks all basically look the same. I'll have to wait a few weeks to be sure, for them

@Gloryjasmine
No my mom does that all the time with her phone taking pics of other people's pics and pics off cameras too.

Ours looks identical to yours. At first I thought he was an bbr oegb but now I wonder about American game bantam. I can't find any pics of oegb with the grey feather shafts or down whatever it is at the base of the tail showing. But from pics it looks like American games always have that showing. So idk my guess is he's one of the two. We got Nugget out of the bantam bin at tractor supply this year.

And you're welcome. I just thought about that but wasn't sure so I decided to mention it.

Back
Top Bottom