2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are hatching everything lol  talking about everything too, come over silly!
actually Mims has just set quail and I have been begging others besides myself to give her tips on quail!!!  I have a huge post I posted again burried by now on QUAIL HATCHERS TIPS NEEDED LOL :th

@lynnhill

I hope to be able to help with quail in 2016... I will hatch some silvers for Easter! :D

I hope to be able to help with quail in 2016... I will hatch some silvers for Easter!
big_smile.png
sweet! like I said I had buttons and cots, but its nice to have others input too. they are so fun and easy to incubate, she shouldnt fret about them. I loved hatching them but in a styro taking them out is an issue
lau.gif

Sally, I'd love to join you all, but we haven't incubated chicken eggs, and I really don't know if we will bc we just don't have room here right now. So we are only incubating quail. Should I change my mind this Spring, I may fly on over then, bc I'll be looking for help from you and other seasoned chicken breeders I'm sure:) Thank you for opening this new thread and inviting all of us there:)

we are hatching everything lol  talking about everything too, come over silly!
actually Mims has just set quail and I have been begging others besides myself to give her tips on quail!!!  I have a huge post I posted again burried by now on QUAIL HATCHERS TIPS NEEDED LOL :th

@lynnhill
Oh great Sally. Then count me in. I thought it was meant for just chickens. I love love love my quail! I'd have hundreds of them if I could:) Well maybe I exaggerate a bit here.Lol I do not name them, but I always talk to them & pet them. I have 2 little brown girls who got their eyes poked out. I feel so bad for them, and was thinking I should just process them; but they are smart little ones and have no problems finding the food,water and dust baths. So I am going to let them alone to live out their little lives. I have to tell you all that I processed my first quail only a few days ago. It is very easy to do, but omw are they ever tiny once you get those feathers plucked off them. We thought we'd have them for our family for Christmas dinner allowing 2 birds per person. Now I doubt 2 are enough and none of us are big eaters.Michael says he doesn't think our new peeps are going to be ready for processing by Christmas, so will need to change menu plans I guess. Maybe rabbit.

2mfmdfq.jpg
contest-winner1.gif
[COLOR=FF8C00]1st Prize[/COLOR] WINNER @littlenessie Cake Pumpkin Cake Pop Ghosts! [COLOR=FF8C00]2nd Prize[/COLOR] Winner @Peep-Chicken Deviled Chicken Eyes Boil your eggs! I use bantam eggs, I always have issues with large eggs. I cook the small eggs in the water for about 10 minutes. I put in a little vinegar and salt while they boil, it makes peeling easier and the salt helps eggs with cracks not leak. When the eggs are fine boiling, I run them under cold water. The inside: You will want to peel your eggs and cut them in half. Put the yolks in a separate bag. Once all the yolks are separate, add your mustard and mayo. This is totally personal preference! I put about 2 tablespoons each per 6 eggs or so. I also may sprinkle salt and pepper on it. When done, squish it all together! The eyes: Cut a small hole in the bag so you can squeeze the yolk mix into the whites. You can dye the yolks to make them more orange too. I even it so it looks like eyes and clean the white up some. Details: Put our tortilla or olive or whatever you choose for the pupil in the center. Get a toothpick, and with red food dye, trace veins in the white.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
ya.gif
A big CONGRATULATIONS to the winners:)

So, here are those pictures I promised a week ago, lol. I finally have some time to breathe and can get them uploaded. I had a 100% hatch rate, but unfortunately a freak accident killed one so I have six chicks from seven eggs.

Here are all six:

The little CCL/Ayam cemani hybrid. She is MUCH darker than I expected:

And here's the little leghorn mix clearly fathered by Raptor, my AC rooster. Look at that dark little face!

so cute!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom