2x2s for roosting poles

2x2 with beveled/rounded edges.

they are birds. nature designed them to roost on branches. Branches grow round in nature. Don't try to out-think mother nature.

True, branches grow round. But branches can be any width from paper-thin to more than a foot wide (which is effectively flat for a chicken's feet).

If anyone has chickens that do roost on trees, it would be interesting to know what size branches they choose to be on, and whether they chose the smallest or largest branches on the tree (as compared with choosing something in the middle.)

True, branches grow round. But branches can be any width from paper-thin to more than a foot wide (which is effectively flat for a chicken's feet).

If anyone has chickens that do roost on trees, it would be interesting to know what size branches they choose to be on, and whether they chose the smallest or largest branches on the tree (as compared with choosing something in the middle.)
My birds got lose when I was gone once , came back that night and they were on branches about 2-4 inches around.

2x4s seem way to big IMO , so I was wondering would 2x2s work, branches are going to be a major inconvenience for the way I want to do things , plus getting branches in the snow doesn't seem fun lol😅.

But can chickens grip/ sit on 2x2s comfortably?

Thanks!
Yes, they like to cover their feet w their bum to keep it warm. If you stand it on the 2” side it works well..even the little guys are ok. More of their foot is supported.

What’s the recommended distance between the roost and the wall of the coop? I was going to hang a roosting bar along the length of the coop wall. I don’t want the grown birds to be cramped up against the wall.
It would look something like this picture (not mine)
IMG_1355.jpeg

2x4s seem way to big IMO , so I was wondering would 2x2s work, branches are going to be a major inconvenience for the way I want to do things , plus getting branches in the snow doesn't seem fun lol😅.

But can chickens grip/ sit on

But can chickens grip/ sit on 2x2s
It seems Chickens like to sleep on flat surfaces. I use 2x4s on the wide side up for standard size birds and narrow side up for bantam birds. Hope this helps.

But can chickens grip/ sit on 2x2s comfortably?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom