3rd Nest of the Season!

Dont know if it applies to 40 degrees, but My hen has hatched chicks in the early spring when we've had miserable cool and rainy, yucky weather- you know, it was probably like that in PA too.
She not only hatched them, but had them out free ranging in the wet miserable stuff, then would bring them back into the pen and sit on them- on wet ground.
I did my best to keep dry straw under her, but she wanted nuthin to do with it. Amazingly, the babies all did fine. I on the other hand got more gray hair! I had a chicken wander off just before a blizzard in January. When she didnt make it back, I figured she was a gonner. Darn if she didn't wander back into the barn with a single little chick one day! There was still snow on the ground. So, never fear, all those downy feathers serve a purpose! My Lucy is still on 4 eggs and yes, its freezing here- they said frost tonight. No sign of pips here yet. Maybe mine are duds, or maybe they're waiting for tomorrow when it will back in the seventies. Good luck!

Well that is good to know, usually mine who are sitting are inside the barn. My new runs are apparently a little too big, as she was able to hide these eggs from me until she started sitting on them. Obviously mine are taking a bit longer than normal (yesterday was day 28), so I wouldn't give up yet, yours may be a day or 2 late as well. Good luck to you as well!

ARRGGHH!
barnie.gif
Peahens! ARRGGHH!

So....at this point I have 1 chick and 1 piece of toilet paper! I went out first thing this morning and Miss Priss was still on her nest so I figured things were kosher, I had some errands to run and left to do them. I got home 3 hrs. later to discover she had moved off the nest and was sunning herself in the company of chick #1 who looks like an IB. Seeing no second chick, I assumed it had not been able to hatch successfully, and went to check the nest so I could remove the unhatched egg/chick. The chick had hatched and dried, but wasn't fluffed and was face down in the dirt, temp at this point was about 60 degrees. I guess she got tired of waiting for him/her and not only left it laying there she actually took a Big Broody Poo right on top of it.
somad.gif
And it was still alive, so in the house we go with a handful of poo covered chick. Plugged in the hovabator and set it at 95, washed baby off in warm water and put Trip. Ant. Oint. on it's very dirty but closed navel. Once cleaned up it is an obvious Silver Pied. ARRGGHH!!! I sure hope if it makes it I can return it to her, not really wanting a house Pea at this point! So anyway, that is my latest hatch ever story!!! How are things in OH?

Sorry, I can't help it.
hide.gif

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It got so cold it froze up and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As it lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy.

A passing cat heard the little bird singing, and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out-and then ate him.

The morals of the story are:

1. Not everyone who drops $hit on you is your enemy.

2. Not everyone who gets you out of $hit is your friend.

3. When you're in deep $hit, keep your mouth shut

Sorry, I can't help it.
hide.gif

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It got so cold it froze up and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As it lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy.

A passing cat heard the little bird singing, and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out-and then ate him.

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
I will be sure to pass these words of wisdom along to Poop-Baby. And the idea that the Poo may have actually kept it warm did cross my mind.

Sorry, I can't help it.
hide.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
OMG and it is so true
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Hooray for Poop-Baby!
love.gif
And running water... and HovaBators... and dedicated Pea-midwives... You know that chick is totally stuck with that name, like forever
crackegg.gif
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom