4 chicks killed, 1 in shock, 4 very anxious HELP

Really?
That's great! Wasn't sure about offering food after something like this.

Oh really praying for this wee bird.... My daughter is totally blaming herself. ESpecially as she was the one who found them.
I'll pray for your bird, too
hugs.gif

And your daughter, poor sweetie. I'm sure she is a very strong little girl!
As long as she is willing to eat and drink, I would offer it to her. I'm not sure about chicken psychology, but in humans and many animals, eating causes a calm response, eliminating anxiety. That's why it helps to chew gum before a big event!
Her breathing keeps going really fast.... Slows for 3/4 mins then really fast for 30 seconds.
Irregular breathing happens sometimes with such large amounts of stress. If you're holding her, the key is to stay completely calm when she does it. Any social animal can sense changes in posture and body chemistry, which can affect how they react. By not panicking, you suggest to her that there is no danger.

No blood beforehand and I don't think cocci.

She's hugely better today.

Wish I could say the same for my daughter. She's having flashbacks and nightmares. Been in our bed every night since it happened poor baby
1f614.png

No blood beforehand and I don't think cocci.

She's hugely better today.

Wish I could say the same for my daughter. She's having flashbacks and nightmares. Been in our bed every night since it happened poor baby
1f614.png
Oh, Bless her little heart...
Here's a good article on helping kids get through grief, particularly of pets. It may help :)

http://rainbowsbridge.com/grief_support_center/Grief_Support/Chrildren_and_petloss.htm

Having seen it happen makes it really hard on her, but she will heal emotionally and maybe even learn from it. Lots of hugs, reassurance, and maybe a cool new nightlight might help her with the nightmares!
And of course lots of prayers from the chicken people on the internet :)

Back
Top Bottom