7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

barnie.gif
Broke an Isbar egg while putting it in the bator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
th.gif

Oh no!

Sooooo...I may need a little help from the experts here. My incubator may have gone down and died last night. The temp only reads 95 degrees instead of 99.5. It will only get up to 97. Luckily, I am hand turning my duck eggs (2) so I caught it and turned on my back up bator/hatcher. It was only within the last 12 hours. The eggs are on day 18. I candled them and they were still moving. I was just going to switch incubators. Will that work or am I doomed?

Sooooo...I may need a little help from the experts here. My incubator may have gone down and died last night. The temp only reads 95 degrees instead of 99.5. It will only get up to 97. Luckily, I am hand turning my duck eggs (2) so I caught it and turned on my back up bator/hatcher. It was only within the last 12 hours. The eggs are on day 18. I candled them and they were still moving. I was just going to switch incubators. Will that work or am I doomed?
They will be fine!

The first post of this thread has a link to a pdf "what if the power goes out".

You will not even see a delay in the hatch.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! After reading that article, I have another question. Sorry...I'm still new at this. It said that lowering the temperature by 2.6 degrees after day 16 (for chickens, I'm assuming) can be beneficial to the eggs. Is this true for ducks as well? Should I still switch incubators, or leave them at 97 degrees?

Thank you so much! After reading that article, I have another question. Sorry...I'm still new at this. It said that lowering the temperature by 2.6 degrees after day 16 (for chickens, I'm assuming) can be beneficial to the eggs. Is this true for ducks as well? Should I still switch incubators, or leave them at 97 degrees?
Most of the things, like the cool down cycle, is good for ducks too. You need to use a different day though--I would wait until lockdown for the Duck eggs.

Wait to do stuff like that until you are comfortable with hatching though.

Ok, so i just gave the incubator a second ince iver w bleach water and used qtips to get in all the little crevices and spaces w my turner (took foreeever). Turned on the bator and got it to temp but now all i smell is faint hot bleach!!! Am i going to kill the eggs w fumes? Its faint but still noticeable. I know eggshells are poreous which is what worries me. I was planning on candling the shipped eggs tonight and provided the aircells are ok, set them with my swede eggs. Advice please!!!!

***Excuse the spelling. Using cellphone and typing too fast***

Last edited:
Ok, so i just gave the incubator a second ince iver w bleach water and used qtips to get in all the little crevices and spaces w my turner (took foreeever). Turned on the bator and got it to temp but now all i smell is faint hot bleach!!! Am i going to kill the eggs w fumes? Its faint but still noticeable. I know eggshells are poreous which is what worries me. I was planning on candling the shipped eggs tonight and provided the aircells are ok, set them with my swede eggs. Advice please!!!!

***Excuse the spelling. Using cellphone and typing too fast***
Put some bowls of vinegar on the incubator and let the fan run for a few hours, preferably overnight.

Back
Top Bottom