7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

The funny thing is they say black cats are bad luck
1f602.png

She had other plans
lol.png

For sure! Do you have any other pets?

Well, besides my 80-something birds/poultry?
big_smile.png
We also have 3 cows, 3 horses (not trained, they are rescue horses and we keep them in a huge fenced in area in our woods), 1 dog (we had 2 but our awesome dog died of old age a few weeks ago), my brother has a cat... I think that's all. I am the "bird person" of the family with my pigeons, doves, quail, ducks, chickens, finch and house sparrow, and now Biscuit (who is my first "non bird" in a few years. I think I might be missing something
hmm.png
, I thought we had more animals than that.

Well, besides my 80-something birds/poultry? :D We also have 3 cows, 3 horses (not trained, they are rescue horses and we keep them in a huge fenced in area in our woods), 1 dog (we had 2 but our awesome dog died of old age a few weeks ago), my brother has a cat... I think that's all. I am the "bird person" of the family with my pigeons, doves, quail, ducks, chickens, finch and house sparrow, and now Biscuit (who is my first "non bird" in a few years. I think I might be missing something :/ , I thought we had more animals than that.

Sorry about your dog
1f614.png
I love horses! Do you know what breed?

Sorry about your dog
1f614.png
I love horses! Do you know what breed?

They are PMU rescue horses, we think Ginger (my favorite) is part draft horse, but we're not really sure what else they have in them. I can "ride" Ginger bareback, meaning I can sit on her back and she is careful not to make any sudden movements but still only does what she wants and goes where she wants to go lol. The other 2, Olive and Cricket both will buck a little bit if we try to get on their backs so we don't try to ride them anymore
gig.gif

I gotta go to bed now, good night!

They are PMU rescue horses, we think Ginger (my favorite) is part draft horse, but we're not really sure what else they have in them. I can "ride" Ginger bareback, meaning I can sit on her back and she is careful not to make any sudden movements but still only does what she wants and goes where she wants to go lol. The other 2, Olive and Cricket both will buck a little bit if we try to get on their backs so we don't try to ride them anymore :gig .

I gotta go to bed now, good night!

That's great! I have a spunky Arabian, who will give you a run for your moeny and his companion a half Arabian who is almost 30
1f633.png
I technically rescued him ( I got him from a family who was going through a divorce) I have really wanted to adopt a mustang or any horse really. But I don't have the time or moeny to have another horse
1f614.png
maybe in a couple years.
Good night, nice talking to you

Oh my gosh...chickies!!!
love.gif
That's a whole lot 'o chicks. Very nice!
thumbsup.gif

More chickies!! And they're black.
love.gif
Very nice too!

Nice pictures! I like the different color of your roos.
clap.gif

Thanks, they are all versions of silver duckwing. Long John Silver has only some small spots of red leakage on the shoulder and a nicely mottled black chest. His sons Yellowlegs and Bluebeard have so much leakage that their shoulders look like fiery sunsets. Both have mottled chests and "drawers" and Bluebeard has a mottled black beard. The fourth roo is Moose. He is a chocolate silver duckwing

That's great! I have a spunky Arabian, who will give you a run for your moeny and his companion a half Arabian who is almost 30
1f633.png
I technically rescued him ( I got him from a family who was going through a divorce) I have really wanted to adopt a mustang or any horse really. But I don't have the time or moeny to have another horse
1f614.png
maybe in a couple years.
Good night, nice talking to you

Just understand that the difference between a regular horse (any breed) and a Mustang is a similar difference between a dog and a wolf. Mustangs can and will react to certain stimulus even though they were born off the range. It can go to 5 generations before they loose some of the instinctive reactions and if something reinforces it the behavior passes on. Don't ever scream around them if you are a woman because the apex predator on Mustangs are cougars. A cougar sounds like a woman screaming. Really research and understand them. They can be awesome partners but you need to be really on your toes. They are paranoid about having their feet touched and worked with because in the wild damaging your feet is a death sentence. Bribe them with alfalfa cubes when you work with their feet. Food builds trust. When they know they can trust you with their life they won't fuss about you working with their feet.

The TJ's eggs were white and the Whole Foods eggs were Brown. They are likely that same cross with the parents reversed.

TJ's = Hyline leghorn hens x hyline brown roosters
Whole Foods = Hyline brown hens x hyline white roosters.

The theory is that the farm would use different colors between the cocks and the hens so that it would be easier to make sure you have the correct ratio for the breeding pens to ensure fertility.

It seems to be working because most of the eggs are fertile.

Because of the cross, most of the offspring will be brown egg layers. Of the 7 pullets that I hatched last year, 5 lay brown eggs and two lay white eggs.

I have one hen that lays a huger 78G white egg. She is very little too.

Modern Sizes (USA)
Size​
Mass per egg​
Cooking Yield (Volume)[2]
Jumbo​
Greater than 2.5 oz. or 70.9 g
Very Large or Extra-Large (XL)​
Greater than 2.25 oz. or 63.8 g 56 ml (4 tbsp)
Large (L)​
Greater than 2 oz. or 56.7 g 46 ml (3.25 tbsp)
Medium (M)​
Greater than 1.75 oz. or 49.6 g 43 ml (3 tbsp)
Small (S)​
Greater than 1.5 oz. or 42.5 g
Peewee​
Greater than 1.25 oz. or 35.4 g

Not been on for a few days. Trying to catch up. @ronott1 where did u find this table? Would like to move to my desktop but don't know how from here.

Back
Top Bottom