7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I incubated 38 eggs, and 29 hatched in our RV :)
The remaining 9 just didn't hatch, they were fully developed and had even absorbed the yolks, so not sure what went wrong with those little guys. Overall, I was excited to successfully hatch 29 in my homemade incubator, of which we had to move into are RV because we were vacationing at the Coast for the holiday weekend. My husband deserves a medal for his support, although there was a bit of under his breath grumbling :)

Our RV was a hit, as everyone wanted to watch the hatch. Can't wait to try again. I hatched 8 Buff Brahmas, 15 Easter Eggers, and 6 Rhode Island Reds.

0.jpg

0.jpg

Chicks went to outdoor brooder yesterday. Our high today was 48F. I watched them for about 7 beers. I was surprised at how little they went under the heat plate.

I also put mine outside. I have a heat lamp for them. I just kept 3 little silkies.

Love the serama photos, and that duck egg! Oh wow. I don't know why I never thought of a duck laying a double yolk..guess cause I don't have ducks!
tongue.png

Our weather has been nice, up into the 30's. Staying in the high teens or low 20's at night. I can live with that, better than the single digits we were getting last month! Snow on the ground, rained yesterday! Now the snow is crunchy! lol

Those were cool to watch rj..thanks! You got a lot of babies. I just hatched some yesterday. Nice back yard mixes..I have that RIR..and now, I have some of his and the RIR hen's eggs in..will get me some nice RIR's soon.

I incubated 38 eggs, and 29 hatched in our RV :)
The remaining 9 just didn't hatch, they were fully developed and had even absorbed the yolks, so not sure what went wrong with those little guys. Overall, I was excited to successfully hatch 29 in my homemade incubator, of which we had to move into are RV because we were vacationing at the Coast for the holiday weekend. My husband deserves a medal for his support, although there was a bit of under his breath grumbling :)

Our RV was a hit, as everyone wanted to watch the hatch. Can't wait to try again. I hatched 8 Buff Brahmas, 15 Easter Eggers, and 6 Rhode Island Reds.

0.jpg

0.jpg

That was really neat! Hatch three is like watching popcorn popping!
A nice variety of colors.
love.gif

Quote:

I moved my NY HAL chicks to our rabbit cage today to get them ready for the move out to the coop...and to make room for the Jan. 17th hatch chicks. The guys are going to put the second level in the brooder on the weekend.
woot.gif
I'm really relieved about that...lol!

Here it's warmed up to the -10 to -15 range. I'm hoping
fl.gif
this weather stays so the chicks can go in the coop. I'll use a heat lamp for them again once they're moved out.

Large chicks are EE's and the small chicks are OEGB.

(The two day old EE's are about the same size as the 2 week OEGBs)
love.gif

@ Bamadude...."watched for 7 beers." Too funny!!
gig.gif

It has been too cold here for the chicks to go outside. I may be wintering them indoors this year and putting them outside after the weather starts to warm up again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom