7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Hello everyone, as promised I have taken pictures of my incubator set-up for the 2016 Hatch Along. As you can see in the pics, I have set my eggs for the hatch. The incubator set-up consists of a Hova-Bator incubator which I have modified with a large viewing window and a 12 Volt incukit from Incubator Warehouse. I also use a automatic Humidity control system from the same supplier. Before setting the eggs, I weigh each egg and record the weight. By doing so I am able to check for the 11-13% weight loss at day 18 and know if the humidity level was correct. I set the humidity at 55-65% with a temp of 99.9 degrees for the first 18 days and will lower the temp to 99.5 the last 3 days. I will also be raising the humidity up to a level of 75-85% while the chicks get into position during those last 3 days. I will post pics of candling the eggs on the seventh day with info about the pics. I wish everyone a successful and rewarding New Years Hatch.
P.S. Pilgrim the Thanksgiving Bird is doing great and just about ready for her first flight. Thank You for reading and your replies. Sincerely, Jeffrey Williams

@simplestupid must say I am glad to see this on here! glad to see you do the switch out!
highfive.gif
well done!

So I had my bator sitting on my dresser since the 9th. I had my eggs inside it just so they didn't accidentally get eaten. The first day I put too much water in so I dumped it out through the little holes in the bottom and set it back on my dresser and put the egg rack back in. Today I went to pull the eggs out and to turn the bator on. Now I see this discoloration where I dumped the water out 2 days ago. I've thoroughly bleached the bator but I need to know if the eggs that were sitting inside are ruined?

@Sally Sunshine

@ronott1
yer good chicky.... bleach killed it... they get all stained up

Does anyone know which part I need to replace? I have an old Brower 11400-3. Yesterday I turned it on and it heated to 101. I adjusted the temp thing and went to bed. This morning the light was still on but it was not heating. It was down to 80, and nothing felt warm. I could move the temp setting up and down, and it would click the light on and off, but nothing was generating heat.
Dax so when the light goes on, does the element get hot at all? so you know if the wafer is working? if its not the wafer its the element.

@Sally Sunshine sorry to bother you again, but do you think it is the element, and do you know what I could get and where to replace it? Like building a coolerbator one?
the coolers I use lightbulbs.... not sure on that, see what ron said about replacement parts... if your thermostat is working and it has a fan you have almost all the makins for a coolerbator sweeets.... see my signature....

Omg. So i was turning the eggs for the second time today, and my cat literally tripped against the side and sent them all jumbly waumpus and into each other. No cracks or anything, but my heart fell into my socks pretty much. All i can do is wait till candling on day 7. My 7 year old daughter is devistated, as she witnessed it happen and she has wanted salmon faverolles since we got birds two years ago. Im not too keen on the state of my shipped eggs anyway, as i initially had them in the turner (after resting upon arrival) then took them out to do it by hand and found one had adhered via a leak onto the side if the turner. Old eggs? Maybe. All were uber porous but intact. I cracked it completely open upon getting it unstuck and the yolk was at half mast vs totally plump or totally flat. Gah. Sorry, i just had to rant!
1f623.png

So the shipped egg saga continues - I am so disappointed right now :( I spent a good amount of money on eggs to have them to put in the incubator today, I called and they haven't even shipped yet!!!

Omg. So i was turning the eggs for the second time today, and my cat literally tripped against the side and sent them all jumbly waumpus and into each other. No cracks or anything, but my heart fell into my socks pretty much. All i can do is wait till candling on day 7. My 7 year old daughter is devistated, as she witnessed it happen and she has wanted salmon faverolles since we got birds two years ago. Im not too keen on the state of my shipped eggs anyway, as i initially had them in the turner (after resting upon arrival) then took them out to do it by hand and found one had adhered via a leak onto the side if the turner. Old eggs? Maybe. All were uber porous but intact. I cracked it completely open upon getting it unstuck and the yolk was at half mast vs totally plump or totally flat. Gah. Sorry, i just had to rant!
1f623.png

Candle them and look for cracks. put some nail polish on the cracks.

Back
Top Bottom