7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Trauma then.

Keep us posted!

I will. She seems fine so far, but it's still early.
Thank you. Yes, I have used Sally Sunshine's guide in previous assists, but they always happened after the chick broke through the shell. I am just a bit concerned that the chick will run out of air before it can break through the shell.

I may end up doing that too. I have a silkie mix chick I really want to hatch and it internally pipped about 6 hours ago.

Well everyone, my hatch is complete. Here are my results:
I started with 17, 2 quit within the first week.
15 eggs made it to lockdown, 14 hatched. 1 DIS. I opened the DIS egg very carefully just to be sure. That poor little chick had internally pipped, but just couldn't manage the external pip, though it was perfectly positioned inside the egg. Oh well, I guess some just aren't meant to be.

Very pleased with this hatch, now on to the next!

@RubyNala97

Yes they can internally Pip and not external.
if you candle you want to be sure that they pipped in the aircell so they can breathe.

SEE https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
Its all here
Good luck :fl

Yes, thank you. One of the internal pips is now an external and the last one had not internally pipped as of this morning but had by tonight. So it hasn't been 24 hours yet. But that's interesting about the egg tooth! Hopefully it will pip by morning! :fl
How long can a chick last before it must externally pip? Basically, how long will the air in the aircell last before the chick runs out of air?

I've been listening to this chick peeping almost half the day, but it hasn't broken through the shell yet. I am just wondering when would it be necessary to step in.

Internal pip can take up to 24 hours. When they are internally pipped and loosing oxygen/gaining co2, it cause spasms in the neck that create the external pip. One time I had one that didn't externally pip after 24 hours, so I made a tiny hole and it did zip by itself quite a few hours later.

Well everyone, my hatch is complete. Here are my results:
I started with 17, 2 quit within the first week.
15 eggs made it to lockdown, 14 hatched. 1 DIS. I opened the DIS egg very carefully just to be sure. That poor little chick had internally pipped, but just couldn't manage the external pip, though it was perfectly positioned inside the egg. Oh well, I guess some just aren't meant to be.

Very pleased with this hatch, now on to the next!

Yes, some do not hatch.

Ncie job!

Back
Top Bottom