8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

I just have big plastic bins I use for brooders. I have silkies that hatched 11/29 in one of them. I'd really like to move them outside - with a heat plate. I took their heat plate away in their brooder 2 days ago, since they are in a heated bathroom, and there are 11 of them to keep each other warm. They are doing fine.

A couple of the silkies are braver than the rest. They have been jumping out of their bin all week. Now that I have the new babies in a bin right next to the silkie bin, one of these brave wanderers keeps jumping into the baby bin and terrorizing them. Boy do the babies scream at the invader! Sounds like someone is being tortured. I have the heat plate pretty low, so the babies are hiding out at the back and the big silkie just wanders around and eats their food and drinks their water.

I'm going to move this coop up against my house.. Since none of my silkies like to climb, I'll replace the ladder with a ramp - but if they are like the last babies I had in this - they had to be lifted in and out for the first few weeks.

The weather is supposed to range from 46 to 65, most days right around 59. I would expect the babies to spend most of their time in the run, outside the coop area. Do I need to include a heat plate in the bottom area, and other inside? Am I moving them outside too soon?

They have feathers, but aren't completely feathered. Here are 2 of the jumpers, one just as it was jumping into the baby bin, the other back into it's own bin.

Thanks!!!

How much snow did we get?? Couldn't open the front door all the way. This is just drift..we face the north.. Here is my hubby shoveling a path to the shed so I can get chicken feed. Made it! Big dog loved it! Missy My hubby shoveling a path to the chicken coop. Once he got it possible to open the gate to the coop. Don't have a tarp on the back end. My poor chickens don't have much room .. I guess I should have put tarp on the sides too! That end run even has snow in it. :/ They just hang out on that roost, or go into the coop.
Oh..little dog didn't like it! :lol: Brody went potty, and ran all the way back to the door!
This winter is so far very odd. We have very little snow. I am so disappointed! I am not the only one here who loves the snow either, my dogs love it too. Especially Boss Dog! We have has some, but then warm temperatutes and rain, then cold again. Mostly everythingvhas been ice with little bits of snow added here and there. It us supposed to be snowing for the next several days with "record" snowfalls... yeah, right! Last year we had as much as you have now by Thanksgiving! Also this week is supposed to be "deadly cold", lows as low as -30°F with highs not even reaching 0°F... yeah... it is 47°F outside right now. Okay, so the extreme cold would have been a bit much, but I want my winter!!!! I love the little dog running back to the house! Lol I have one who is not at all fond of the snow, she is a tiny, 5 lb Chihuahua.

Last edited:

My Gold Brahma hatched out from last year!

Sure hope my eggs hatch! It's not looking good, I candled my other set of shipped eggs in my farm innovator-two dozen didn't do anything & a few were quitters (blood rings).

:confused:

Are you sure this is not a Buff Brahma? It looks like a Buff to me. I had never heard of Gold Brahmas, so I did a search and all info I found for the Gold is that roosters are colorful on the top half, but the breast/underside/legs are dark (like the Dark Brahma), and the hens also look like the Dark Brahma, but have gold in their feathers instead of white.

Well i assisted. Opened the air cell and the chicks were malpositioned. One was already DIS when i got to it. The 2nd i got its head into the air, it peeped and moved around but had some unabsorbed yolk. Put it back in the bator but now its just lying there not moving. Maybe I should have given it more time. I am devastated. I wish I could afford to try for egg's in the auction page but waiting for disability to start and money tight. Congrats on your hatch sweetie and happy new year. Mine isnt starting very happy

Another idea would be to check out your local craigslist farm and garden section and type in eggs, many people sell eggs on craigslist pretty cheap, you can look for specific breed hatching eggs or if you dont really care you could message someone selling eating eggs (usually 2.50 doz) and ask them if the hens had been exposed to a rooster if they have you could potentially buy hatching eggs for 2.50 a dozen, may be barnyard mixes but you will atleast have some chickens,, I hope you have better luck next time!!

They advertised the eggs on ebay as blue/gold brahma eggs. Your right, but he's a pretty gold, probably not 100% brahma. The hens were blue, but he's real golden in the sun. Not sure what they were crossed with.

We did get about 6 inches here had none last year first winter here. Now
Greenhouse on the ground cannot do anything about it till snow melts
peep I helped is still alive right now not sure cannot seem to stand laying on it's back
may let it go peacefully

Heres my chicks
Puffys kids aka my sexlink

My naked necks

Seramas

My wyandotte/sexlink mixes

My leghorns kids

My khaki campbell ducklings

My total HAL chick number is 2.
I set 10 eggs, but 8 were from new pairs that I had just put together so none were fertile yet. I'm getting fertile eggs from them now though. So the two that hatched are from a silkied Serama pen.
They both hatched New Years Day.
Here they are:

And here are a few that I hatched in December..

My total HAL chick number is 2. I set 10 eggs, but 8 were from new pairs that I had just put together so none were fertile yet. I'm getting fertile eggs from them now though. So the two that hatched are from a silkied Serama pen. They both hatched New Years Day. Here they are: And here are a few that I hatched in December..
:love

Look at this beautiful thing I just spoiled myself with for a late breakfast! 12 quail eggs fried inside a slice of rosemary sourdough bread, sprinkled with white cheddar and fresh cracked pepper.

First time eating quail eggs like this and let me tell you, did not disappoint. A little yolk in every bite. <3 only my second time eating eggs from my birds.

droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom