8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Anyone know what would cause week old chicks to tip over and die I have shavings in brooder electro lites in water they have been eating and drinking and running around suddenly I'm finding dead chicks some on their backs some on their sides other on their stumick all with their legs straight out behind I need to know why please help me brooder temperature between 80-90 they are not bunching or scattered panting
they could also be too warm, do they have a cool spot to get out of the heat?

First night with the big ducks. (Isn't she so pretty? Hm... Should've cropped my Marans cockerel's rear end out of that. )

Last edited:
Shooting blanks?  How old is he? 

He's only 1 1/2.
He produced a chick last March.only one was set from the hen and hatched.
My ee roo has been fertilizing his hens all winter, I'm not playing a waiting game on the buff orp. He's gonna be separated and penned with an orp hen and a sexlink, if he resumes fertility cool, but i'm moving on to pure brahmas.

I totally understand. I'm pretty disappointed with my SLO. They don't even lay that often either!

I'm moving on to Partridge Chanteclers! Finally got my hands on some. Hopefully their combs look good - cushion, or I'm culling as needed.

Moved 14 of my biggest chicks from my nyh and dec 27 hatch outside!
Heat lamp in the coop at night, still below freezing at night. 8 from my black tub brooder got moved into the crib brooder, they only have a 100w bulb. I moved my 2 1/2 wk old chicks to the tub brooder with my jan 13( 5wk) hatch.

With the warmer than usual weather, i wish i could build my bigger coop, i could move my old one in the fenced area i already made, to give the chicks more room! Gotta wait a couple wks to get supplies though first! Ugh!
Hopefully next update is the next switch, and ill have more outside!!

Moved 14 of my biggest chicks from my nyh and dec 27 hatch outside!
Heat lamp in the coop at night, still below freezing at night. 8 from my black tub brooder got moved into the crib brooder, they only have a 100w bulb. I moved my 2 1/2 wk old chicks to the tub brooder with my jan 13( 5wk) hatch.

With the warmer than usual weather, i wish i could build my bigger coop, i could move my old one in the fenced area i already made, to give the chicks more room! Gotta wait a couple wks to get supplies though first! Ugh!
Hopefully next update is the next switch, and ill have more outside!!

It is nice to get them outside!

They look great too!

unfortunately that is the norm with your more rare colors of English Orpington. Did you cut the feathers around the vent or pluck? My chocolate cuckoo boy...took him till he was over a year old to figure out how to breed
he.gif
yahooooooooo! alas, fertility! the girls picked up laying, so I decided to throw some eggs in the bator - 4 days later - at least 25% fertility! hey, i'll take that over 0%!! now if they just make it to hatch......
fl.gif

my egg turner is dead, so I have to hand turn. ugh. my first time hand turning was nightmarish in that for whatever reason, MANY of my hatches pipped on the wrong end of the egg. I was able to save most, if not all of them, but still. ugh.

I will do what I have to do! :) in the meantime, get here soon egg turner (I ordered one :)

Back
Top Bottom