8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Seriously messed up weather... 66° right now but gonna be 30° tomorrow... :/

Looks like no Calls for New Year's hatch... have some chicks and big ducklings growing though...

Sometimes if the eggs are dark or have thick shells, it can be hard to see what's going on so I usually wait until day 10 to candle. and I always wait until lock down to toss any eggs out.
With very dark and thick eggs, you go by the amount of darkness in the egg. bad ones will glow and I do not toss those until lockdown too. Penedesenca eggs can be very hard to candle!

lord a mighty making cookie for 2 hours and this blew up BOOM 53 unread posts
My update I killed on of my eggs dropped a light on him crack allot bigger than I thought
god rest my unhatched egg
lau.gif
I am so sorry!

That would make me go crazy!

This happened last weekend. Houston we have a rooster!

Very cute!
Shoont guys! I had a busy day getting stuff for the chickens and groceries for us, then tending to the coop!

I candled again too, because I wanted to mark air cells this time. Some look like they're doing great and others, the cells have barely moved. I've done a little moving around to make sure that those ones are more on the outside perimeter of the incubator now. I'm undecided on when I should candle next, either day 10 or 14. I'll candle one last time just before lockdown.

Also, it looks like I have three that weren't fertile and another that looks like it quit. It's in a marans egg and the yolk looks like a solid, dark sphere. I'm still leaving them in there unless I start smelling something funky. Madness!
I am hoping for you!

fl.gif

Sorry for the photo dump!

I thought this was a quitter, but today's candling has me thinking it may just be slow. It looked a little more developed today.

This is the marans egg where the yolk looks ESPECIALLY solid. It's hazy in this photo but was solid looking today.

Another marans

And the last of the three marans.

Beautiful loaves ron. I can almost smell them. Love the smell of bread in the house while baking.

I might have a slice soon with blackberry jelly.....

Thanks y'all
big_smile.png
You are Welcome!

I know I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself and all....

Is there gonna be a Valentine's Day HAL? Because I like GOOD excuses to hatch (nevermind that this is my first hatch)
lau.gif
love.gif
There will likely be one. Look for it on the incubation section threads.

Last edited:
Who's getting really cold weather right now?  We are going into single digits soon.   :( 

Pretty cold here. That heat wave that melted our snow and rained on us was ridiculous, it got up to 43 the past 3 days, but it went back down today with a high of 21 I believe. Currently it is 15, heading down to 0 tonight.

Back
Top Bottom