8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

crazy-interesting-facts-14

Every time I see that pic...I can't believe how much those roosters actually look like they're REALLY playing soccer...
gig.gif

Amazing!!

Quote: I'll admit I was worried about my baby chicks too. None of the cats have even been mildly interested in them. Thank goodness!
yesss.gif

Every time I see that pic...I can't believe how much those roosters actually look like they're REALLY playing soccer...
gig.gif

Amazing!!

I'll admit I was worried about my baby chicks too. None of the cats have even been mildly interested in them. Thank goodness!
yesss.gif
I have a new kitten that seems to be very interested in the noises coming from the chicks in the incubator ONLY when I'm looking at them. The Brinsea tips over very easily and the eggs and chicks got rolled a few times as he jumped on and grabbed hold. No damage, but I"m not sure what he'd do if he got the 'bator open. My hatched chicks from Nov and these dry fluffy ones are in my bathroom and he just wants in because it's a closed door - any door that is closed, he wants in.

I knew last night was going to be noisy in the 'bator - we have a way to close off the bedrooms from the rest of the house. He got locked on the bedroom side, chicks were on the other side. Because I didn't want to take a chance the noise alone would attract him.

My older cat, along with a cat I lost a while ago killed several older chicks that got loose from the cage they were in. So, i don't trust her, but they sure try to look innocent.

Wow that's a lot of chicks! 34 and 15. Are you guys keeping them?

34 sounds like lot, doesn't it LOL

12 are easter egger leghorn mixes, half of those will be male (freezer camp) and half of the other half will lay pink eggs. I don't want those three, so they'll be sold. That will leave me with only three super blues.

21 are from my F1 Splash Ameraucana/Marans hens bred to a true Wheaten Ameraucana. Again, half will be males (off to freezer camp). That will leave me with only 10 or so females from that breeding.

Then there is my one top hat mix from my sneaky Buff Laced Polish. I wasn't planning on breeding him yet, but if the chick is a pullet and lays light blue eggs it will work perfectly in a little project I'm going to start this Spring.

All in all, I'll only have about 15 to free-range for eggs. My household eats a dozen eggs a day so the numbers work out.

I haven't decided about my, now, sixteen lol. If I don't sell any off as chicks, we'll process the cockerels. Well, unless my turkens are boys. Then I'll try selling one and keep the other and be forced to build another pen. My little naked necks aren't going anywhere lol.

Now. #16 hatched around 330am, per my husband. It doesn't look like it's moved much and is kinda "gasping" in the corner of the incubator near where it was hatched. Is there anything I can do?

I haven't decided about my, now, sixteen lol. If I don't sell any off as chicks, we'll process the cockerels. Well, unless my turkens are boys. Then I'll try selling one and keep the other and be forced to build another pen. My little naked necks aren't going anywhere lol.

Now. #16 hatched around 330am, per my husband. It doesn't look like it's moved much and is kinda "gasping" in the corner of the incubator near where it was hatched. Is there anything I can do?

If there is too much humidity there won't be much oxygen to breath. Lift the lid for two seconds, wait a moment, lift the lid again. One of my chicks did that and it was fine after the incubator was de-humidified.

34 sounds like lot, doesn't it LOL

12 are easter egger leghorn mixes, half of those will be male (freezer camp) and half of the other half will lay pink eggs. I don't want those three, so they'll be sold. That will leave me with only three super blues.

21 are from my F1 Splash Ameraucana/Marans hens bred to a true Wheaten Ameraucana. Again, half will be males (off to freezer camp). That will leave me with only 10 or so females from that breeding.

Then there is my one top hat mix from my sneaky Buff Laced Polish. I wasn't planning on breeding him yet, but if the chick is a pullet and lays light blue eggs it will work perfectly in a little project I'm going to start this Spring.

All in all, I'll only have about 15 to free-range for eggs. My household eats a dozen eggs a day so the numbers work out.
Im so glad were not the only ones that go through a dozen a day! More sometimes! I have 30 chickens and people think I'm crazy when I say I need about 30 more, but the thing is we sell eggs too and alot of time we either cant keep up or we go without.. this year a few of my hens decided they weren't going to lay during winter at all so I havent been able to sell any eggs!
1f623.png

Last edited:
If there is too much humidity there won't be much oxygen to breath. Lift the lid for two seconds, wait a moment, lift the lid again. One of my chicks did that and it was fine after the incubator was de-humidified.

I did that. Then moved the chick out of the corner of the incubator. I took a vid to show what I'm talking about. It honestly felt a little "stuck" to the floor :/

vimeo_logo.png

Woah! What happened here??? I wasn't really sure about this egg because it was so dark. Did I lose it before or after lockdown? What caused this?
Not sure what happened but it looks deformed. I've opened many eggs and never seen the organs look like that. The beak and head are very strange. I had one that did not hatch once . It was alive at lockdown but small. When I opened it up after it died it had no head.

Back
Top Bottom