8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Good morning all! Sad news, one of my NY babies died this morning. I use puppy pads for the first week or two. The baby looks like it got it's foot caught in the material of the puppy pad while it was under the heat plate. I haven't been here the last few days and my family gave them water and food, but didn't lift the plate to see what was going underneath. 2 days with no food or water, under a heat plate, is deadly.
hit.gif

Better news - I had 4 eggs that I had added sometime during the NY hatch batch - when I pulled stinky shipped eggs. I couldn't remember WHEN. They have been happily tilting back and forth in my LG. I got a call last night that one of those eggs had JUST hatched. I had my family move the chick and the eggs over to the Brinsea (with the higher humidity). I'm guessing the 3 earlier eggs aren't going to hatch, but I"m hoping the 3 new eggs will.

I have a dozen backyard mix eggs that I think I will drop in the LG today. Those will be the last fertile eggs I have.....no more roosters.....

Madisons are a hybrid created by Purley Poultry.

I just got my digital scale and numbered leg bands to start updating weekly the growth of this hatch since I didn't have them when I had my Dec hatches cuz mail was slow for the hilidays, but now I'm ready.

Madison Chickens Details

Madison Chickens are a hybrid chicken that has been bred for sustainable and productive egg and meat production. Beyond their productively, these birds have stunningly gorgeous coloring - with varied patterned feathers and all shades of all colors, no two Madison birds look alike.
We had a hard time thinking up a name for this new type of chicken. And we decided on Madison. We love the name Madison - it reminds us of the Daryl Hannah in the 80's movie, Splash! But it is also the name of the capital of Wisconsin, our closest urban center. We love visiting Madison - it is a beautiful city with tons of diverse cultural and exciting things to do. Madison is also a city that has permitted citizens to raise chickens for a very long time, even when lots of other cities were outlawing them. So we love Madison for that reason as well and decided to name these diverse and exciting chickens after this great city.
You'll only be able to get Madison Chickens from us here at Purely Poultry!
Madison Chickens have red single combs and pretty wattles. Roosters are particularly brilliant in the patterns and colors of their feathers. They are hardy and easy to care for birds, and get along well with other birds and in most farm environments. Madison Chickens would be ideal chickens for homesteads and backyard flocks, for pasture-raising, and for larger production farms. The Madison is a heavier bird, and will not roost more than 1-2 feet off the ground.
Production: Madison Chickens were designed for production, and we promise that they will not disappoint. Females are good layers of large brown eggs and will lay 280-300 eggs annually. Males will reach a marketable weight of 5 pounds or more in about 12-20 weeks. These birds won't have the super-fast growth rate of Cornish Cross but will mature faster than most heritage breeds. Madison Chickens can do well in both pastured environments and more confined settings.
Temperament: Madison Chickens are relatively easy-going but are also active and energetic birds. Their personalities can be quite diverse matching the diversity of their coloring.
History: The Madison Chicken is a newly developed hybrid, bred to introduce strong and healthy new genetics as well as attain great duel production status.
APA Class: Not recognized.
Conservation Status: Not applicable.
Body Type: Madison Chickens are medium-sized chickens - seemingly like a combination of Sussex and Rhode Island Red in general conformation. They are sturdy and upright fowl and do well in all climates.
Weight: Cockerel 4.5 lbs, Pullet 3.5 lbs, Rooster 10 lbs, Hens 7.5 - 8 lbs

I'm interested in these birds. Do Madisons reproduce true to the parents? Are they heat/cold tolerant?
Thank you

Last edited:
​I'm interested in these birds. Do Madisons reproduce true to the parents? Are they heat/cold tolerant?
Thank you

https://www.purelypoultry.com/madison-chickens-p-1335.html

This are first hatches of my Madisons and crossed them with my Buff Orphimgton so I wouldn't know if they hatch true to their parents. One thing I do see is that they are growing fast. Great layers and temp here during summer reached 114 degrees and lowest was yesterday 32 degrees feeling like 20 with wind factor and my girls are doing fine laying beautiful brown/beige eggs.

https://www.purelypoultry.com/madison-chickens-p-1335.html

This are first hatches of my Madisons and crossed them with my Buff Orphimgton so I wouldn't know if they hatch true to their parents. One thing I do see is that they are growing fast. Great layers and temp here during summer reached 114 degrees and lowest was yesterday 32 degrees feeling like 20 with wind factor and my girls are doing fine laying beautiful brown/beige eggs.

Okay, thanks. I subscribed to your meat bird experiment thread so I can follow their progress.

thumbsup.gif

Accuweather said that there was going to be a break in the atmospheric river rain at 1pm so I went out to exercise....

The break lasted to the 2mile mark in my 3 mile jog. Then it was like I was in a river!..When I made it home, my youngest DD said I looked like a drowned rat!

I did get a lot of steps and intensity exercise minutes though...

Accuweather said that there was going to be a break in the atmospheric river rain at 1pm so I went out to exercise.... The break lasted to the 2mile mark in my 3 mile jog. Then it was like I was in a river!..When I made it home, my youngest DD said I looked like a drowned rat! I did get a lot of steps and intensity exercise minutes though...
:lau got to love the weather man. At least they got the atmospheric river part right. It's absolutely pouring here with wind too boot. At least I got them fed before this part struck.

Accuweather said that there was going to be a break in the atmospheric river rain at 1pm so I went out to exercise....

The break lasted to the 2mile mark in my 3 mile jog. Then it was like I was in a river!..When I made it home, my youngest DD said I looked like a drowned rat!

I did get a lot of steps and intensity exercise minutes though...
gig.gif
Good for you on the exercise!

Back
Top Bottom