8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

I heard my first crow this morning! Three times. Sounded like an adolescent boy whose voice is cracking. To funny. Sad, as I can't have Roos in the city, but still cool.

Also, was planning on a metal shed for a coop. Just found a guy who builds wooden sheds. Getting an 8x8. Pic is is of the upgraded model. Mine will have a single window ( I can add another later on), 4' wide single door, and plywood siding instead of T11. So excited. It will be good to get these babies outside and with more space! I'll miss hearing them inside, but it's time! LOL

Cool! I love, love, love little adolescent crows (almost as much as I love fluffy cheeks)!!
I am also going to be getting a shed for my layers! I almost had to pinch myself when my sweet husband suggested it!! So exciting!

Congratulations to you both on the new coops!

Im a bit sad this morning....actually scratch that, very sad.

I did my usual check the brooder last night....and Pocket was not in there. No where....not under her toys, she was not in sight. We turned the place upside down to find her, she was no where. Shes gone.
hit.gif

Its the worst case scenario because i dont know if shes in the cats belly or by chance still alive somewhere waiting for me, i cant bring myself to the fact that i wont see her ever again, its funny how 3 days together can impact on how much i miss her...

Last night i was watching TV, and she was snuggled up next to my hand, if i moved it, she would make a fuss, and if i walked away she would come screaming after me...

Its my fault because if i had put a lid on the brooder...none of this would of happened.

Not a good morning
sad.png

So sorry
hugs.gif

Not a good way to start 2017!!!

Me and my family headed to Houston for the weekend visiting my older son and our house was burglarized. They took all tv's and electronics from the inside and from the outside was the weedeater, lawnmower, air compressor and my SPORTSMAN CABINET INCUBATOR!!! To make matters worst our main gate was left open and a bunch of stray dogs got into my coop and killed all my chicks 100+ of them only 8 survived. Got here last night to find the horror. Today I dedicated the whole day resecuring my coop and resetting an old homemade bator I built a while back. I also brought home 3 hens and a rooster from my old flock at my dads house to restart my meat project.

Male Dark Cornish

White Plymouth Rock and 2 Madison's

Surviving chicks

Resecured Coop

Old Homemade Bator

Lets start again!!!
my Isbar pullet is laying pretty good. Let me know when you can incubate again, and I can send you some.

Im a bit sad this morning....actually scratch that, very sad. I did my usual check the brooder last night....and Pocket was not in there. No where....not under her toys, she was not in sight. We turned the place upside down to find her, she was no where. Shes gone. :hit Its the worst case scenario because i dont know if shes in the cats belly or by chance still alive somewhere waiting for me, i cant bring myself to the fact that i wont see her ever again, its funny how 3 days together can impact on how much i miss her... Last night i was watching TV, and she was snuggled up next to my hand, if i moved it, she would make a fuss, and if i walked away she would come screaming after me... Its my fault because if i had put a lid on the brooder...none of this would of happened. Not a good morning :(
so sorry

Im a bit sad this morning....actually scratch that, very sad. I did my usual check the brooder last night....and Pocket was not in there. No where....not under her toys, she was not in sight. We turned the place upside down to find her, she was no where. Shes gone. :hit Its the worst case scenario because i dont know if shes in the cats belly or by chance still alive somewhere waiting for me, i cant bring myself to the fact that i wont see her ever again, its funny how 3 days together can impact on how much i miss her... Last night i was watching TV, and she was snuggled up next to my hand, if i moved it, she would make a fuss, and if i walked away she would come screaming after me... Its my fault because if i had put a lid on the brooder...none of this would of happened. Not a good morning :(
So very sorry for your loss. I'm really hoping she turns up.

Ahhh, I hope she is hiding somewhere. I have found escaped chicks under the incubator, next to the dryer, under the coffee table, laundry pile, etc.

But....with a cat around, you'd think he'd grab her? And plus, without heat, wont she be dead?

I have cats too and they KNOW not to mess with my birds. There would likely be some evidence if they did though! Chicks can hide pretty well and your house probably is not so cold that she would die. She is 2 weeks old right? I don't know, I am just hopeful for you and I know that I have found chicks in odd places. Yes, I probably need brooder covers ; )

I have cats too and they KNOW not to mess with my birds. There would likely be some evidence if they did though! Chicks can hide pretty well and your house probably is not so cold that she would die. She is 2 weeks old right? I don't know, I am just hopeful for you and I know that I have found chicks in odd places. Yes, I probably need brooder covers ; )
Well...this cat has gotten a chick out of an incubator, almost killed it...its reasonably cold...shes 4 days old (As of today) Im going to search....it seems so strange that shes disappeared without a trace. Its either i find her dead or alive, but i hate when a chick goes missing and i dont know if its dead or alive..that keeps me up at night. I dont know where to start looking
idunno.gif

ETA: I was looking in some Un- usual places, and i said "Pocket" and I SWEAR i heard a cheep, but i cant see anything!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom