A Bielefelder Thread !

I don't own any CCLs so I know that's not a possibility. What I CAN tell you is that my (former) Ameraucana rooster wasn't pure but I've no idea what he was mixed with, and breeding him with some of my other breeds has resulted in some interesting offspring. Not only did these guys turn out crested, unlike their daddy, but they also have feathered shanks and one of them has 5 toes.

Here's a picture of daddy, named Copper. Notice that he's lacking the puffy cheeks typical of Ameraucanas.

Here are a few of his other offspring:

Monty, a Copper/White Rock cockerel

Senna, a Copper/White Rock pullet

Mags, a Copper/Australorp cockerel

Haley, a Copper/White rock pullet

Ziggy, a Copper/Dorking-mix pullet

And finally....

Harley, a Copper/EE cockerel.

He had some interesting genetics to work with.
smile.png
All I can say is "Wow!" Copper looks like he might have some Marans in him... not that I know a lot about it, but maybe that explains the feathered feet? They are all beautiful!

Hen Solo is adorable! How old is she?
She hatched April 14th, so about 5+ mo (23 weeks) old.

Got a new layer today!
My bigger ? is which pullet. We have a RIR with the same hatch day. I was thinking the new little dark brown eggs we've been finding for the past 3 weeks were made by the RIR. (I assumed that breed matures faster.) Today's little egg was pretty pale. l remember that our former Biele laid terra cotta & somewhat speckled eggs. Perhaps I've been giving the wrong hen the credit, but I just don't know what shade of brown the RIR's eggs should be.

For anyone who's had both RIR & Bieles, which one looks more like a Biele egg?
Here are both of today's eggs.
The one on the left is the 1st of it's kind. (Has a bit of a shine to the bloom.) The right egg has been showing up & gradually getting bigger for the past 3+ weeks.

Here's a picture of daddy, named Copper. Notice that he's lacking the puffy cheeks typical of Ameraucanas.

He had some interesting genetics to work with.
smile.png

TWINS!

This was our "Brownie" He was an amazing roo & enjoyed human interaction. He stayed sweet & never went through that testing teen stage. I didn't know how rare he was. He would come up, stretch out his neck, & rest his head on DD's shoulder- like a hug

He hatched from a pink egg but most of his offspring laid green eggs. Brownie + Precious (a golden hen & brown egg layer) = hen that layed olive eggs.
Precious:

Their offspring = All black body with golden head.

His chicks always came in a wide variety. Because of all the green layers he produced, I think he had some Ameruacana in the mix.

Last edited:
She hatched April 14th, so about 5+ mo (23 weeks) old.

Got a new layer today!
My bigger ? is which pullet. We have a RIR with the same hatch day. I was thinking the new little dark brown eggs we've been finding for the past 3 weeks were made by the RIR. (I assumed that breed matures faster.) Today's little egg was pretty pale. l remember that our former Biele laid terra cotta & somewhat speckled eggs. Perhaps I've been giving the wrong hen the credit, but I just don't know what shade of brown the RIR's eggs should be.

For anyone who's had both RIR & Bieles, which one looks more like a Biele egg?
Here are both of today's eggs.
The one on the left is the 1st of it's kind. (Has a bit of a shine to the bloom.) The right egg has been showing up & gradually getting bigger for the past 3+ weeks.

The larger one definitely looks like a Biel egg to me. When my girls started laying they skipped the whole little pullet thing and went straight for 2 ounces or more per egg.

My older Bielefelder pullets were born March 20th and have yet to lay! My little Isbar hen who is the same age has been laying for 3 weeks now! One of them has had a large red comb and wattles for a few weeks now, which is what happend before the Isbar laid. We are in North Georgia and the temps have been in the 90's.

My older Bielefelder pullets were born March 20th and have yet to lay! My little Isbar hen who is the same age has been laying for 3 weeks now! One of them has had a large red comb and wattles for a few weeks now, which is what happend before the Isbar laid. We are in North Georgia and the temps have been in the 90's.

My Biels didn't start laying until they were over 29 weeks old, and they really don't like to lay when it's hot. Their eggs started out large and they've been pretty consistent since they finally got their cycle down, but it took a long time for them to start.

It's been a few days since I found that small, shiny egg (pictured in post #4712). I've gotten the darker eggs almost daily & have seen my RIR in the nest box on top of them .... or in the same box 30 min earlier. The small, shiny, pullet egg could only have come from my Biele or my Choc Orpington. My English Orps take 6-9 months to lay that 1st egg. Orp eggs usually don't have a glossiness to them, but I only got 2 so far. The pullet never sticks around to take credit, so it's still a mystery which one is laying. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom