I just took by very proud rooster "Prince" to the vet and she felt he had aspergillosis due to the sound in his lungs. I have already treated him a round of Baytril shots along with oral amoxyil. He is staying indoors due to the extreme heat and humidity here in TN. Is it a waiting game? Prolonging the inevitable? I don't want him to suffer or diminish his quality of life.

Attachments

• 20210430_173047.jpg
    20210430_173047.jpg
    769.2 KB · Views: 2
I just took by very proud rooster "Prince" to the vet and she felt he had aspergillosis due to the sound in his lungs. I have already treated him a round of Baytril shots along with oral amoxyil.
Did they take a swab or culture?
Not sure how they could tell aspergillosis(fungal) from bacterial infections just by the sound?

I wondered also but she is the only poultry vet in our area. This was her best guess. Nothing found in fecal as far as parasites. She said his lungs sound as bad as he does. Not sure where to go from here. Very frustrating and sad.

I wondered also but she is the only poultry vet in our area. This was her best guess. Nothing found in fecal as far as parasites. She said his lungs sound as bad as he does. Not sure where to go from here. Very frustrating and sad.
Some birds do survive it, I won’t lie it’s a tough fight but some birds do survive and are cured and live many more years. If you think he’s got fight in him he might beat it with the right care.
I don’t like to give up on anything if they want to live, so I give them every chance I can. Sometimes though it’s out of our hands either because of the cost or because the treatment is unavailable, like Olorofim.
You can try to get your vet to share information with a state/college vet like I suggested to Maryam too and see if there’s any other new treatments I don’t know about. State, University, and college vets are more in the know with emerging veterinary news than I am.

I like to think that sometimes if you get an idea into people’s heads and it spreads around it can get things going faster, I don’t think the manufacturers would allow Olorofim to be used on animals so soon, they’ve only just started phase 2 human trials. The majority of drugs used in vet medicine are repurposed human medicine, so it has to get approval for use in humans before our animal friends can get it.
But if it gets the seed planted in the heads of university vets, they have more ability to seek funding to begin trials for avians and companion animals, so it might not help now, but I like to think it could eventually help others sooner than it otherwise would have if there’s enough interest in testing its effectiveness across species simultaneously.

Last edited:
Some birds do survive it, I won’t lie it’s a tough fight but some birds do survive and are cured and live many more years. If you think he’s got fight in him he might beat it with the right care.
I don’t like to give up on anything if they want to live, so I give them every chance I can. Sometimes though it’s out of our hands either because of the cost or because the treatment is unavailable, like Olorofim.
You can try to get your vet to share information with a state/college vet like I suggested to Maryam too and see if there’s any other new treatments I don’t know about. State, University, and college vets are more in the know with emerging veterinary news than I am.

I like to think that sometimes if you get an idea into people’s heads and it spreads around it can get things going faster, I don’t think the manufacturers would allow Olorofim to be used on animals so soon, they’ve only just started phase 2 human trials. The majority of drugs used in vet medicine are repurposed human medicine, so it has to get approval for use in humans before our animal friends can get it.
But if it gets the seed planted in the heads of university vets, they have more ability to seek funding to begin trials for avians and companion animals, so it might not help now, but I like to think it could eventually help others sooner than it otherwise would have if there’s enough interest in testing its effectiveness across species simultaneously.
I am setting up a follow-up visit with the vet to discuss further options. Prince not being in the yard taking care of the flock due to this is like telling a boxer he can no longer box. His spirit seems broken.

I am setting up a follow-up visit with the vet to discuss further options. Prince not being in the yard taking care of the flock due to this is like telling a boxer he can no longer box. His spirit seems broken.
I’m rooting for him, I can tell he’s a sweetie with some feistiness in him!

H
I’m so sorry!
I’ve hear of vets prescribing Fluconazole but based on everything I’ve read Asper isn’t sensitive to it, by the sound of it Asper could probably grow out of it, it has no effect of Aspergillosis.
Itraconazole, voriconazole and amphotericine B are the most often used in Asper infections, of those three itraconazole was what was prescribed to my gander. Voriconazole wasn’t on the market at that time to my knowledge, it’s available now and is slightly safer than itraconazole but much more expensive.
I don’t have any information about terbinafine but all look around and see what I can find.
Hey,
Thank you for your help🙏
The vet said I have to finish this course of meds to try another drugs! I don’t have much knowledge about asper nor the meds, I’m researching all day and reading different articles about it but sill I’m clueless.
We are not even 100% sure that it’s asper we’re dealing with! I’ve read so much about effects of anti fungals on liver, so I’m probably won’t continue the meds! Since my duck doesn’t have much symptoms. She lives indoor, I have always made sure everywhere is clean and used safe disinfectant on a daily basis. We don’t even live in a humid area..
I’m just so confused about everything 😓

@Maryam. definitly try to get your vet to ask the state/college vets about the safety of treating birds with turbinafine, most midications are used off label in poultry/avians so there might not be a lot of information on that but they’ll have a better idea than most.

Some more info I’ve found on it http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/terbinafine

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/terbinafine.html#:~:text=Terbinafine is an antifungal medication that fights infections,children who are at least 4 years old.
I will definitely ask the vet to consult with the veterinary universities. I could also pay a visit myself if they’re willing to help. I really need to make sure it’s asper first.

Back
Top Bottom