a Turken that lays a green or blue egg?

chickeypoo

The Enabler
15 Years
Feb 4, 2007
Wisconsin
Is it possible? if it were.. id be buying them all up lol. i don't know anything on genetics but i would love to see if someone can or would want to do it lol. i love turkens and i want to get more green/blue eggs. lol.

That would be so cool, I hope it can be done-I'd get me some of those!!
wink.png

Hi Sue! Got 'em here NOW! Naked Neck green-eggers and Naked Neck Frizzled green eggers in blue/splash/black.
There are pics in the Turken thread, I think.
I have a whole pen of splash Frizz NN green-egger girls that have just started laying, but I keep waffling on which roo to put in with them.
smile.png

Lisa

I have a black naked neck pullet that I hatched from a blue/green egg, it was an extra that came along with some ebay turkey eggs that did not hatch. When I asked the shipper they said it was a turken x araucana cross. I will post a pic soon, she is not laying yet so here is keeping fingers crossed for blue eggs.

Sure is possible. Easy to find or breed on your own. Most of them will also have pea comb, because in USA chicken stock, pea comb is strongly linked to the O gene(what makes the green/blue colored eggs). Single combed birds laying blue or green eggs are very hard to find as a result. My blue/green egg turkens all have single combs.. here's a pic of them:

5756_barooandhens.jpg

I have a black naked neck pullet that I hatched from a blue/green egg, it was an extra that came along with some ebay turkey eggs that did not hatch. When I asked the shipper they said it was a turken x araucana cross. I will post a pic soon, she is not laying yet so here is keeping fingers crossed for blue eggs

Hi! That's a strange egg to include as an extra. I hope she lays soon.
Hi Kev, I'm curious (and don't remember if you said before), were your single comb NN green-eggers intentional or a happy accident?
smile.png

Lisa​

I don't know squat about genetics. But I do have 4 Turken/EE eggs in my 'bator right now. I'm hoping that I have better luck with my hovabator because I hardly hatched anything EVER with my LG. Wish me luck, seriously.
fl.gif

Anyway, I don't know if that will result in green colored eggs or not. My EE has a pea comb, and the Turken has a weird comb - I don't even know how to classify his comb! Wish me luck!!!

so of the ones that have turkens who lay blue or green.. whos willing to send me some LOL.
smile.png
i have some eggs in the bator right now(cuckoo marans, and french black copper marans.. so. it will have to be in about 2 weeks(this friday will be the end of the first week for my incubation) i love my turkens, and i bought some from jmhappycowboy last year.. blue ones. but i only hatched a red rooster turken and a splash looking orpington. so.. no luck there. i wanted a different colored turken other than buff cuz that is all i ever got when i ordered from hatcheries. ugh. it would be the best of both worlds if i could get turkens who laid the green and blue lol. i love to surprise people on the green egg thing. i think it's great when i get the funny look when i say blue and green eggs lol.

Back
Top Bottom