ABOUT TO SET 24 MARANS EGGS! ANYONE ELSE SETTING EGGS? DEC. 14-16, Hatch Jan. 3-5th.

bwalden

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Arkansas
Just bought 22 black/blue/splash marans eggs from a breeder in OK. I got a message from the post office they have arrived. Anyone else setting eggs this weekend? If so, what kind? How many?

celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I don't have a candler, but have heard you can get good results with a flashlight and a toilet paper tube, so I'm going to try that. I've been looking around at various sites to see photos of what the eggs should look like if they're developing correctly. Anyone have favorite sites with images they'd like to share?
It all really depends on the egg. If they are light colored eggs (white, light brown) a flashlight and tube will work great. If they are darker eggs it's a little more difficult to tell even with a so called good egg candler. The link below shows some pretty good pics of various stages on some lighter colored eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Got my new egg candler in this morning. I think will candle Sunday evening.
I don't see how you can wait so long!
th.gif

I don't have a candler, but have heard you can get good results with a flashlight and a toilet paper tube, so I'm going to try that. I've been looking around at various sites to see photos of what the eggs should look like if they're developing correctly. Anyone have favorite sites with images they'd like to share?
I've never invested in a candler either. The eggs I've incubated have all been ivory to brown, though. Another idea for a homemade one is putting a bright light inside a box...I use flourescent bulb so it doesn't produce as much heat but still gives a very bright light. I also recommend a maglite flashlight. Here is a picture of 2 candlers that I put next to each other -with the egg in the center- so I can get direct light onto the egg. The 1st photo is an embryo.

I think this 2nd picture is an infertile RIR egg from my Rhodie!

I don't see how you can wait so long!
th.gif

I've never invested in a candler either. The eggs I've incubated have all been ivory to brown, though. Another idea for a homemade one is putting a bright light inside a box...I use flourescent bulb so it doesn't produce as much heat but still gives a very bright light. I also recommend a maglite flashlight. Here is a picture of 2 candlers that I put next to each other -with the egg in the center- so I can get direct light onto the egg. The 1st photo is an embryo.

I think this 2nd picture is an infertile RIR egg from my Rhodie!
Lol! This is my 4th hatch this year. I don't get too excited anymore I guess. I like to just check my temps a couple times a day and leave them be. Now after lockdown I'm excited. But with Marans and Welsummers it's so difficult to tell anything until at least day 10. I think by me doing it at day 7-8 I'm really a little earlier than I usually do it but what the heck. With the Holidays and all next week I just figure Sunday will be the best time I have to have a look. Btw love the improvised candlers! Looks like they work just fine. I don't have much in my new one. 15 bucks off of ebay, free shipping.

Nice, I'm also setting a dozen welsummer eggs along with the 24 marans eggs.

Last edited:
Eggs have settled over night (shipped eggs). Incubator temps are regulated. I will be adding eggs this morning.

Back
Top Bottom