Ameraucana Laying Age?

bigpinkmotherhen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 9, 2010
This is my first time raising Ameraucanas, and I know these chickens have some unusual traits, but I haven't read anything about early sexual maturity. I have 2 cockerels and 7 pullets; they're 11-1/2 weeks old. Both the guys have already started crowing, one last week, one today. I'm told this is not particularly unusual. My question, and concern, is -- are my pullets likely to start laying soon? This seems way too young -- half the age of even a Leghorn.

My true Ameraucanas are 34weeks old and I have yet to see the first egg.. They don't even seem too mature. Their combs are only pink and no one will even think about squatting for me.. My first Ameraucanas were 33 -38 weeks old before I got my first egg...

I realize this is an old thread, but thanks so much for it! I just realuzed that Maddie, my Ameraucana, just started laying - a smidgen over a year old! Got me worried! I know it's terrible I didn't even know, but I'm not home all day to observe the girls as closely as I'd like, and they all WILL use the same laying box, even if it means doing so at the same time! I've been getting 2 - 3 eggs per day from my 4 girls, all different varieties but all hatched the same time... So I thought somebody must be slacking off! Of course, I hoped for pretty blue or green eggs, but I thought I'd heard somewhere Ameraucanas may also lay mauve-ish eggs? I wouldn't say I've been getting mauve eggs, but one of them lays a paler brown egg with a pinkish tint, so I figured that was Maddie's.

Until Friday when we found a gorgeous green pullet egg. Another on Saturday, and today was the first day I've gotten an egg from each!

So... It's great to hear such a wide variation is normal. I live in the Phoenix (Arizona) metropolitan area and I worry a lot about heat stress. I kind of thought this breed would deal better, worried more about the Buff Orpington. (Other 2 are Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red).

It depends on where you got them from I would say. If you got them from a breeder, they will probably lay later than average. If you got them from a hatchery, they will probably lay around the 20-25 week range. I have an Ameraucana pullet I got from a breeder who is almost a year old and is still not laying. Now, I am not saying that is usual, just not terribly unusual. My other Ameraucana pullets have been laying for a few months and they are the same age. Just remember, each individual bird is going to mature at a different rate. They will only lay when their bodies have matured enough to do it. Sometimes it is a long wait but it is worth it. I have read that the older they are when they first start laying, the less chance of reproductive problems like internal laying, they will have.

Thank you so much everyone. I got them from McMurray, because one member of our "egg co-op" wants colored eggs & McM breeds for that feature, not show or conformation. Maybe my 2 boys are just inspired by the Rhode Island Red roo who lives in the next pen.

They're Easter Eggers then, not Ameraucanas if they're from Murray McMurray.

The EE's I once had from the same hatchery began at 21 weeks.

My purebred Ameraucanas begin at a range of 21-30 weeks old, depending on the bloodlines.

Back
Top Bottom