Ameraucana Temperaments

Ha! Now you're going to get 3 roos.
tongue.png

I'm sure it depends on the strain and the individual bird. The two Ameraucanas I have are the friendliest birds in my flock... it's almost unreal how friendly they are. The breeder who shipped me eggs said he bred for temperament in addition to other qualities, and it's obvious he wasn't a-kiddin'. Even as little chicks, they were the two that would flitter to the top of my brooder when I listed the lid and wait to be stroked and given treats and clucked at.

To be honest, this really sort of surprised me, because I'd been under the impression that smaller birds (Ameraucanas are small-ish compared to my SFs... at 19 weeks they're about the same size as my 12 week old speckled sussex) were flightier and more skittish. Well... they FLY more, but they fly straight to me, and perch on my arm or shoulder and want to ride around while I do my chicken chores. That's one of my girls, Lily, a wheaten Ameraucana perched on my shoulder in my avatar.

I didn't start out by giving them any extra attention as chicks, but they demanded it just by their friendly, forward nature. I've never seen them pick on the other girls, even the SFs, which as a breed can tend to get bullied. However, I don't really give them very many treats because I want to make sure their diet stays balanced, and they get to range on quite a bit of land, so I think they can balance their diets pretty well. When I do give treats, it usually consists of sunflower hearts or scrambled egg or mealworms. I don't give table scraps like spaghetti (even though I'm tempted sometimes!)
big_smile.png
Sometimes birds that pick do so because they don't have a good diet. (But sometimes birds that pick are just mean!)

barnie.gif

I think mine are just from bad breeding and are just plain mean. Maybe they're inbred or something?? Their diet is very good - mostly high-quality lay pellet and free-range. They get extra protein, oyster shell, and vitamins. They get treats once in a while, but in small amounts and only things like fruits and vegetables.

I love your Wheaten, Lilly. She's beautiful. What breeder did you get your Ameraucanas from?

Thanks for your input.

Lori

I got mine as eggs from StormStryder Poultry. They're in one of the Carolinas (I forget which, at the moment). That's pretty far from you, though, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE these birds, and I'd ordered them more or less because I thought they were pretty and thought it might be nice to have a couple blue egg layers along with my Faverolles.

Edited to add:

Here's their website. Looks like it's North Carolina.

Last edited:
I have a silver Ameraucana purchased from a breeder. Dixie is very flighty. Probably why the breeder only raises the wheaten variety now. I emailed a different breeder about the silvers and he considered them to be "neurotic".

There must be a correlation of sorts between temperaments and colors. Perhaps the buffs and wheatens are more docile.
Stephanie

Lori

The oldest one recently passed away at the age of 8. I usually rotate my stock every year, but I held on to the last ones until they were 4 yrs. old. Their (children) that I kept, are just starting to lay. Maybe it's the strain I have, that they are so timid. I have 2 new roosters, but 1 is not going to stay, he is too aggressive with the girls. I have another younger one that a friend raised, so I'll try him with them & see how he acts.
I don't tolerate a mean rooster. DH likes him because of his color, which he is pretty, but his actions make him ugly to me.

Jean

I guess I should say that mine COULD ALSO be blue wheatens or splash wheatens. I'm not sure I could tell the difference in hens until I saw what kind of chicks they threw when paired with a rooster, or until I have more experience with them. The roosters are easier to tell apart, and the eggs I got were a mix of the three wheaten colors.

I think blues and blacks are lovely.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom