Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Off topic yet again (seems to be my specialty!)

Anyone planning to be at Crossroads at the end of October - if you wouldn't mind checking out this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=441963
and
chiming in. Hoping for a BYC meet and greet .... and, please, spread the word!

smile.png

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

It still makes me cry that you are getting rid of your flock!
hit.gif

~Aspen

hugs.gif
Thanks for your sympathy...It makes me feel terrible that I have to do this, but I don't want the situation to get worse. At least I know who they *might* be going to and she has my 3 Am's brother, so they could be reunited!

I love them all and I will hug (I might even kiss
th.gif
) the Am's when they go, they are so special to me.​

Last edited:
Have a question about Blue Wheatens. I just hatched out 4 .The 5th is lagging behind. Anyway the chicks have yellow legs and feet they match the pic of the chicks on the Ameraucana site. Do they change to blue legs and feet??

Quote:
I was thinking...HE probably thought YOUUUUU were saying their name wrong and was repeating it for you to get it right!
he.gif
You could've asked him if he wore Air Jordans when he went to his Air Cannas' coop
wink.png

Quote:
hugs.gif
Thanks for your sympathy...It makes me feel terrible that I have to do this, but I don't want the situation to get worse. At least I know who they *might* be going to and she has my 3 Am's brother, so they could be reunited!

I love them all and I will hug (I might even kiss
th.gif
) the Am's when they go, they are so special to me.

hugs.gif

~Aspen

Quote:
It's obvious to me, though many are not of the same opinion, that a purebred Ameraucana must be pure for all dominate traits that define an Ameraucana, and not be carrying any recessives that would disqualify it's offspring as an example of the Ameraucana breed, variety, or variety in development. I currently have a yellow skinned bird from a respected breeder, and test bred some from a less well known breeder that prooved to be carrying it. Clean faced and leg stubbled offspring are not all that uncommon [unfortunately] in Ameraucana, regardless of their source. IMO purebreds produce only offspring that are purebred in appearance. Now admittedly there are recessive sports for color or comb type that most any breed are known to produce, but usually there is either already a seperate variety for it, or one developes over time. Ameraucanas are still very much a breed in devlopement, and outside breeds are still being crossed in by some leading breeders................... so how many should be considered purebred?
idunno.gif

Ameraucanas come in more recognized colors than Araucanas, yet I see more Araucanas in unrecognized colors than Ameraucanas, some of which surely came from outside breed introductions, and most don't think they are EEs as long they meet the most basic qualifications of the breed.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know this is from a few days ago, but nobody addressed it. If you got feather legged lavenders they are NOT from a "great line". As far as I am concerned- there are no "great lines" of lavenders even out there yet. If I were the breeder I would want to know that they came from my birds and I would never use them for anything but a laying pen or maybe EEs.
Using birds with a fault like that is a big step backwards that this project variety does not need.

Feathers on a clean legged birds shanks/feet is a serious defect. It is usually something that is not easy to breed out. If it was just one bird you might be able to work with it. Get rid of that bird though. I had a Leghorn bantam come up with a substantial row of feathers down the outside of the shanks this year. It came from a breeding pen that I put together from the birds in my closed flock. There has been no new blood in this flock of leghorns for 30 years and in that 30 years I have never had a bird with feathers or even stubs on the legs or shanks. Just mentioning this because it can happen. I have seen feathers on shanks of waterfowl and to my knowledge there are no ducks with feathers on their legs....none. So.....things can happen, but if you have more than one, you have a serious problem.

There are lots of people that have reputations as "breeders" on this site and lots of people believe they know what they are doing, but the truth is there are very few real breeders around. There are a lot of people that are good at hatching though and that does not make them a breeder in my mind. Being successful at breeding chickens is a lot more than spouting genetic formulas and sounding like you know what your are doing. The proof is sustained positive results.

I can't believe some of the things people think are true, just because they read it online. There are people on the site that talk such a good game that I almost believe them.......hahaha Check out their backgrounds and see what their real results are. I'm not sure that I would believe anyone with less than 10 years of practical poultry experience and 10 years is really not a lot of experience in this hobby.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom