Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I might be getting a few ameraucaunas soon, hope they are as cold hardy as they say, we got snow today!

What colors do Ameraucanas come in, besides the standard colors on the breed website? Curious to know!

The colours on the breed web site are the official colours. Beyond that, they aren't "officially" Ameraucanas. In other words, you can't show them and be eligible for breed awards. "Lavender" is close to being recognized although it remains to be seen if that is the name we are allowed to show them under and "splash" are also often acknowledged because they are a natural result from blue breeding pens.

There are a lot of project colors out there. They can be shown in the AOV class at a show. They are not able to place higher then that. If you go to the Ameraucana Breeders Club, there are threads on most projects that are going on. I also encourage people to work on existing varieties. They still need worked on too!

My Ameraucanas just started laying again. Top egg is a plymouth rock, left is Ameraucana, right bottom black copper marans.
66BA8F7B-32DD-4977-B229-A3690ACC78B9-761-0000008480C77C9F_zps5d480064.jpg

Last edited:
I think an 8 for pullets/hens and either a 121 or 14 for cockerels.
Hi Jean
big_smile.png
Hope the trio you got from me are doing well. I thought you would be interested to know about my surprise hatch a couple of days ago since you have been working on the chocolate color. A full sister to the buff x wheaten pullet you purchased from me (but she is not solid buff, she has a khaki tail and darker pigment on her face) was bred to a blue wheaten rooster out of your wheaten rooster (that you now have) and I hatched 3 CHOCOLATE colored chicks! How did that happen
idunno.gif
Of course I will have to wait and see what sort of leakage might show up.

Here are the 3 chocolates at two days old with a full, buff sibling to your pullet~

Here they are today at 5 days old~

They aren't really chocolate, just a brown color.

I think alot of the buff ameraucanas carry dun and partridge. I've hatched alot of chicks with partridge like markings on them through the years. These chicks always are sold as layers.

I think the lighter colored one will be wheaten.

The girls started laying already, but are still in quarantine.

Keep us posted on how the little ones turn out, I bet they will pretty neat looking.

Hi Jean
big_smile.png
Hope the trio you got from me are doing well. I thought you would be interested to know about my surprise hatch a couple of days ago since you have been working on the chocolate color. A full sister to the buff x wheaten pullet you purchased from me (but she is not solid buff, she has a khaki tail and darker pigment on her face) was bred to a blue wheaten rooster out of your wheaten rooster (that you now have) and I hatched 3 CHOCOLATE colored chicks! How did that happen
idunno.gif
Of course I will have to wait and see what sort of leakage might show up.

Here are the 3 chocolates at two days old with a full, buff sibling to your pullet~

Here they are today at 5 days old~

Do you have pictures of the hen with "Khaki" in her tail? Are you sure if it is in fact Khaki... a.k.a homozygous Dun?

If she is carrying the Dun gene and she is pure for it (2 copies) breeding her to a Black (or Blue) bird (Wheaten in this case) has the potential to yield some Dun chicks, depending on how the genes mix. Dun can look a lot like Chocolate but is technically different from sex linked Chocolate (Choc).
Either way... AWESOME!
thumbsup.gif
Please do keep us informed on what these little buggers grow into! I would be very interested to see if they are Dun and what they will look like when mature. I've been fantasizing for awhile now about solid colored Dun and Khaki Ameraucanas.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for updates.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom