Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Who is selling hatching eggs? I would like to get some pure true ameraucanas. I love incubating and hatching and raising the chicks! I would prefer blue coloring on the birds but also understand you can get black blue or splash, which I am fine with! I also love all the breed colors! I'm in Southern California and would prefer a local pickup, but having the eggs shipped to me isn't a problem. Shipping is so rough on the eggs
1f62a.png
just looking for a good blue ameraucana that lays nice blue eggs! Thanks, Carrie

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for that. In that case he will be spending time with my Penedesencas, Marans and White Leghorns
smile.png
will be nice with the Penedesenca

To all of the people discussing egg color..... a blue egg does not make a purebred ameraucana nor does a greenish egg make an easter egger. Plenty of easter eggers lay very blue eggs and conversely plenty of purebred ameraucanas lay greenish eggs. It's all about the breed standards....not egg color. There are 8 colors of ameraucanas; white, black, blue, wheaten, blue wheaten, silver, buff and brown red. Other colors are currently projects (lavenders, etc) or easter eggers. Projects are breeding programs with a goal of producing and showing new colors (that breed true) that may eventually be accepted into the SOPs. Easter eggers are typically random crosses between two non related ameraucana colors such as silver and wheaten or an ameraucana and some other breed of chicken. Egg color is quite variable and the standards for ameraucanas don't disqualify for greenish eggs. I hope this helps with any confusion. Also I am writing from memory so please feel free to correct any facts that are misquoted.

Poo poo happens. Sometimes the genes don't line up the way we expect. There will always be brown egg genes lurking in the ameraucana since they were created from birds that laid brown eggs. I've had it happen to me. No big deal.
Jean on the standard page it does say blue egg. Do you think that it should be changed to say a blue to blue tinted egg or something like that? I always thought the green was a default

Your comment about green being blue with a faint coat of brown.... However the underlying color of the egg can vary somewhat from blue to green blue and perhaps even green. A good way to check the actual shell color is to crack the egg and peel of the inner membrane... The color you see there is the true shell color
yes brown is a paint

Thank you.

So, these birds are double beard gene carriers?

Lol love the picture. there talking to you

Last edited:
The standard says they lay eggs with blue shells. If the inside of the shell is blue, and the egg is not one of the colors below, IMO it is blue.

As a breeder, if I had a bird that laid a khaki, pink or very dark green egg, I would sell the bird as an ee.

Back
Top Bottom